Reynolds assault wheels to replace my Mavic Ksyrium elite

Jtsang2000
Jtsang2000 Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi everyone

Looking for some opinion on replacing my current Ksyrium elite wheel set with the new 2012 reynolds assault. I generally ride solo 50 miles each week..hoping to do more if time permits. Tye road I ride in are rolling hills mainly. So I'm looking for a wheel set that would be able to climb and sprint pretty much a all around wheel. I must say, I do like the aero carbon wheels for the bling factor. My current wheels the Ksyrium elite are good but feel that it has too much road vibration, feel every bump.

Also, if I were to sell my Ksyrium elite how much would it be worth? The wheels are in excellent shape with about 1000 miles on it.

Bike setup
2010 Scott CR1 Pro
Ultegra 6700 components
Fsa carbon stems, seat post, handlebar
Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Get some hand builts
  • Assaults are a good all round wheelset in tubular form but much less appealing in clincher

Get some Dura Ace 7900 C24's and spend the other £450 elsewhere

If you want your Elites to feel better, fit better tyres and use lower pressures. HTH
  • I've just purchased some Reynolds Assult clinchers and they're mighty fine.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Nice logo's
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Most if not all light factory wheels have a harsh feel on the road, not just the ksyrium. If you want a more smooth feel, beside using lower tyre pressure and slightly wider tires, you need to look for wheels with crossed double butted spokes, rather than large flat spokes... It all leads to handbuilts, which do not have the bling factor
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jtsang2000 wrote:
    Tye road I ride in are rolling hills mainly. So I'm looking for a wheel set that would be able to climb and sprint pretty much a all around wheel.

Quote = Jstang2000 translated - I want some sensible, lightweight, untrendy low profile alloy wheels that will improve my performance.
    Jtsang2000 wrote:
    I must say, I do like the aero carbon wheels for the bling factor. My current wheels the Ksyrium elite are good but feel that it has too much road vibration, feel every bump.

Quote = Jstang2000 translated - I want some heavy, carbon, high profile blingy wheels that will look good at the cake stop.

Make your mind up man! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    How many Cake Stops do you make cycling 50 miles in a week?

Your wheels are worth £100 .. i'll take them off your hands for £120 cos I like you. What's your Paypal email address?

:D
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Jtsang2000 wrote:
    Tye road I ride in are rolling hills mainly. So I'm looking for a wheel set that would be able to climb and sprint pretty much a all around wheel.

Quote = Jstang2000 translated - I want some sensible, lightweight, untrendy low profile alloy wheels that will improve my performance.
    Jtsang2000 wrote:
    I must say, I do like the aero carbon wheels for the bling factor. My current wheels the Ksyrium elite are good but feel that it has too much road vibration, feel every bump.

Quote = Jstang2000 translated - I want some heavy, carbon, high profile blingy wheels that will look good at the cake stop.

Make your mind up man! :lol:

Anything wrong with a set of wheels that looks good and perform well? If i'm not wrong, the assaults are similar weight to the ksyrium elites.
  • dw300 wrote:
    How many Cake Stops do you make cycling 50 miles in a week?

Your wheels are worth £100 .. i'll take them off your hands for £120 cos I like you. What's your Paypal email address?

:D

Haha...no cake stops at all. Just harder finding time to cycle more these days given a full time job and family.
    I'm located in US so won't be abke to take up your offer.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Jtsang2000 wrote:
    Anything wrong with a set of wheels that looks good and perform well? If i'm not wrong, the assaults are similar weight to the ksyrium elites.

Nothing wrong with that at all but however much you pay for a pair of deep section carbon wheels, you can get a pair of low profile alloy wheels which will be more suitable for your needs (faster, lighter, more comfortable ride etc) with a very large dollop of change to go with it.

Personally, I think low profile rims look far better than deep rims anyway but I seem to be in a minority there!
    Faster than a tent.......