One film, one book, one song

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited September 2012 in The bottom bracket
I'm not asking you for your favourites here, just which book, film and song reflect your personality.

My book would be 1984 - very analytical, always looking at arguments and ideas and how they are expressed.
The film would be Jurassic Park - I don't always think through the consequences of my actions and sometimes get myself into hot water because of that.
Song - Bohemian Rhaposdy - I'm very easily entertained by absolute nonsense.

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Book - Catch22 - absurd reality and keep wondering if I might be insane
    Film - The Matrix - questions questions questions - I can be very annoying with this
    Should I stay or Should I Go - The Clash - i can be indecisive at times, I think, maybe...
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Book-Bleak House,Dickens at his best and for the lawyers to enjoy
    Film-The Third Man-Carol Reed,Orson Welles,Anton Karas,perfect.Very much a fan of all things Austrian
    Song-tough one as not that bothered but if its one song cycle then Four Last Songs-Strauss.Gloomy b******ds will enjoy the theme of death.
    Yep that sums me up then.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    book - never really had one that sums me up. possibly ozzy in the early years but draw a line at drinking and wife beating (never made it as a musician either :wink: )
    Film - Knocked up. very easy going/laid back but matured quickly when my son was due
    Song - I want to break free - Queen. Currently in a state of job (that I dont enjoy), home, job, home with the odd bike ride thrown in :D
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Pretty similar to OP, but I can't think of my own list :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Film-LA Confidential, it reminds me of a person I once was.

Will have to think about book and song
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Book - Lord of the Rings. Epic fantasy at its finest. Lots and lots of memories around the times I've read it.

Film - Top Gun. Macho testosterone rampage with added cheese. Spiffing. Instant feel good escapeism. RIP Tony Scott

Song - Shoot to Thrill. I will never tire of hearing this.
  • Book: As above, LOTR, if it counts. If it was just a singular book probably On The Beach by Nevil Shute. Had fucked up dreams for weeks with a terrible feeling of imminent death and helplessness.

Film: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson. Just really loved the film since I first saw it.

Song: This Must Be The Place by Talking Heads. The best love song ever written in my opinion.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • baldwin471
    baldwin471 Posts: 366
    Book - God is not great by Christopher Hitchens

Film - Tough one, probably Kes but Elephant man is brilliant too.

Song - Rod Stewart, The Killing Of Georgie (1&2)
  • Book - Into the wild by John Krakauer. Really good book that I couldn't put down. The film ain't bad either

Film - uncle buck. Tough call this one but this takes it due to the memories while watching with my sister in hospital

Song - feeder 'just a day'. Reminds me of my wasted time at college, my girlfriend at the time and it's just epic
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'll have a go.

Book. Love For Lydia by H E Bates. Read it years ago as a youth and was totally drawn in. Old fashioned, idyllic etc. Yup.

Film. The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Brilliant slow burner, and the promo film that was out when the theme made the charts made me laugh like a child, which I was back then. Edit - or Goodfellas.

Song. We Will Rock You by Queen as done for a John Peel session in 1977. Familiar song, different enough and not widely known (or wasn't when I first heard it in 1978). Love it.

Listed not through being favourites, though they are, but because of the themes or in the case of the song because there's a hint of 'yes but how about this though?' about it.
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    johnfinch wrote:
    I'm not asking you for your favourites here, just which book, film and song reflect your personality.

I think some folks forgot about this part of the thread.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    The Big Lebowski - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU2ZgaQ_H-Y - the Dude abides.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBo-exrbKsQ - I empathise with Adams' view that the universe is absurd ..

.. and wonderful in equal parts .. Lateralus by Tool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7CZIJVxFY&feature=BFa&list=FLHlhtrHWHzC4yIVTaGTsPSg
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenenance
    Forrest Gump - love the cinematography in this espaecially the scenes where he recounts his travels at the end.
    Can I play with madness- iron maiden.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Film; The Big Sleep (based on a book) - Humphrey Bogart as the uber-cool L.A. Detective Philip Marlowe. Just always wanted to be THAT smooth - he even makes getting beat up look good! Ho hum!

Book; The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand. Story of Howard Rourke, young idealistic architect who just would NOT sell-out on his principles despite being hounded and ridiculed by society. Wins out in the end, of course.............

Song; Earth Song, Michael Jackson. 'What have we done to the world? Look what we've done!" Nuff' said.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited August 2012
    Film is the hardest choice (apart from the obvious) - Magnolia. The atmosphere and characters draw you in early and you are soon hooked, if you have a pulse! There are so many complex folks out there, all with a story to tell.

Book - H2G2. But this might not be allowed since my first memory of this was as a radio series ... The futility of it all, but in such a humorous and British way, with smatterings of geeky science. Cracking stuff (as a sixth-former in the late seventies anyway).

Song - Watermelon in Easter Hay by Frank Zappa. To be able to express so much in a solo, I'll never get to be this good but I love to practice (family might have other ideas).

Edited to stay on brief :oops:
  • finchy
    cycologist wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I think you're right.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    johnfinch wrote:
    cycologist wrote:
    johnfinch wrote:

I think you're right.

Film The Hill Sean Connery / I can just identify with the main character and the struggle

Book The Dice Man/ Luke Rheinhart I really dont like making decisions

Song Please Lord dont let me be misunderstood / Nina Simone Story of my life really

Bit depressing but back on track with OP.
  • craprider
    craprider Posts: 111
    Song - Love really hurts without you. Dumped by the wife so the words reflect me but still its a happy upbeat song! (which reflects the public front....)

book - have to steal... Catch22 - absurd reality and keep wondering if I might be insane
    as soon as i read op this is exactly what i said!

Film - Hamburger Hill. The continual struggle to achieve something that becomes immaterial when there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Film: Falling down.

Song: Liar - Rollins Band.

Book: Probably Adrian Mole or something.
  • finchy
    F**kin' hell Rick, you sound like a right psychopath.
  • rick_chasey
    Adrian Mole is probably the most relevant/appropriate.
  • snoopsmydogg
    Adrian Mole is probably the most relevant/appropriate.

why? are you really 13&3/4
  • rick_chasey
    Not familiar with the other 6?

The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (1985)
    The True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (1989)
    Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (1993)
    Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (1999)
    Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (2004)
    Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (2009)
  • finchy
    No wonder Rick's opposed to the death penalty - probably sitting there right now, plotting deadly revenge on all of his enemies. :lol:
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Have started this on Cake Stop too... but just to get peoples favourites and why...

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12875008
  • finchy
    mfin wrote:
    Have started this on Cake Stop too... but just to get peoples favourites and why...

It's not as good as mine. :wink:
  • snoopsmydogg
    mfin wrote:

so no input and just an attempt to plug your own thread :wink:
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Book: Ned's 'How I won the yellow jumper'

Film: Man Bites Dog

Song: Orbital 'Impact'
  • Lost in Translation,......when I try and say what I want, it never comes out as intended, which works sometimes but usually comes out skewed.

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, Scottish upbringing but on the west coast, trying to kick out, kick away but I joined up to do it, anti rebellion maybe.

Dry the Rain, by the Beta Band. To quote "If there's something inside that you wanna say, say it out loud it will be ok...." just says to me it cannot be that bad if you say what is in your heart but contradicts my film choice. :|
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...