MTB mechs ona road bike - will it work?

2»

Comments

• rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    it was just a gauge of the age of them..... i cant really find any new flight deck 9speed on newer bikes is all

and apologies..... had my mind on something else when i said chainset........ groupset was the word i was aiming for :roll: probably just a friday afternoon production run
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I don't think Tiagra is that good really - It might be the same place in the list as Deore, but it's not as good.

Sounds like it could do with a really good clean and lube though, I don't think roadies are quite so tolerant of crap weather. Remember that if it's new the cables will be the crappest of the crap to save the manufacturer money.

Good Luck with it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Flight Deck was Shimano's computer, having the decal just indicates compatibility, nowt else. Tiagra is 10 speed now, as Yeeha has said, so it's the latest generation!

The brakes I really did find to be totally shite I must say! Mine seized solid after 6 months or so, replaced with 105s, which have the added advantage of using cartridge pads so it's quicker to change. Still don't stop me anywhere near as well as my Dura Ace ones though, but marginally less terrifying.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Be bloody discussing colourways next.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    There will be no such discussion.

On the road white is fastest, followed closely by red, then black.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:

Mine is silver with blue splatter and cream stays and forks with yellow splatter - awesome early 80's?
    Explains why I am so slow.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    Yep, cream actually slows you down compared to no paint.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:

Mine's white :D
    The brakes are not Tiagra, they're some no-name things, possibly Bontrqager, or Trek's own?
    They have cartridge pads, but no toe adjustment, and they're actually pretty good.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    So my white with red and black detail is not quite as quick as if I just strip the detailing off? If only I'd known that earlier I could have stopped all this training shit!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Njee's right you know, my mountain bike is black, and that definitely isn't as quick on the road as the white roadie.
  • njee20
    Correct, but white must be kept clean. Doubly so for bar tape. White bar tape is fastest, but dirty white bar tape is actually slower than black, confusingly.

It's a bloody minefield all this aero stuff I tells ya.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Roadies are tossers eh.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Roadies are tossers eh.
    I agree, which is why I bought up this subject in the crudcatcher, where it belongs, since it's just crap.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Have you sorted the front mech? My 9 speed Tiagra one got like that and it was one of the utterly inaccessible pivot points that was seizing up. Managed to free it off by squirting GT85 at it then stuck some dry lube in it and it's been fine since. Only issue was that I had to take the mech off to get at it properly.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Have you sorted the front mech? My 9 speed Tiagra one got like that and it was one of the utterly inaccessible pivot points that was seizing up. Managed to free it off by squirting GT85 at it then stuck some dry lube in it and it's been fine since. Only issue was that I had to take the mech off to get at it properly.
    I did basically exactly that, but managed to get at it in situ, with a straw nozzle thing on the can.
    Then just kept cycling the mech over and over and over and over, and it's been ok for another 100 miles or so.