complete noob looking for off road tracks in merseyside

Lei9h
Lei9h Posts: 9
edited September 2012 in Routes
Hi guys. I am a complete novice when it comes to off road, and on road for that matter. Anyway, my wife and I want to peruse some out door activities together abduction we have decided to buy a couple of trek 6000 series mtb. I also have a 2011 carerra Vulcan v spec for sale if anyone interested. Anyway, I digress. I am looking for some off road trails suitable for beginners in the Merseyside area. I currently only know of one. This is the one on the loop line at Aintree race course. It's not bad but would like something a little longer. Any suggestions.
Thanks guys
Sorry first post was offering something for sale.

Comments

• Wrong side of Mersey but the Wirral Way is a pleasant ride. Jump on the ferry to Seacombe and you can ride all the way up and round to Hoylake, then short section of road to West Kirby where you can jump on the Wirral Way and ride right down to Hooton. Then jump train back to L'pool. Or just do bits to suit yourself. I ride the Wirral way most weekends when Im not MTB'ing and its all smooth hardpack and very wife friendly.
    Canyon Nerve XC7
    Carrera Fury
    Specialized Secteur Elite
    Planet X Uncle John
  • I'm in Formby and have a circular route largely based on the Merseyside (or maybe it's Liverpool) and Sefton cycling maps that I think are published by the councils. If you head up to Crosby and hit the promenade just after the docks end (by the boating lake), you can cycle up the seafront and then onward to Hightown. At Hightown, follow the road through the village until you come to a shop on the left and a pub on the right - veer right here and follow the narrow path that runs alongside the railway line and takes you through to Formby. In Formby, head for Freshfield station and cross the railway line, cycle through the station car park and onto the private road that becomes a wide track. Follow the railway until you get to the gated railway crossing - cross with extreme care and close gates behind you. Walk along the path that crosses the golf course - or men with odd shoes and hats (and big metal sticks) get irate. Once through the gate, shortly after you've crossed the golf course, turn right and follow the path (known as Fisherman's path) all the way to where it meets the Coastal Road. From here you can go straight on towards Ainsdale and Southport, or turn right and follow the Coastal Road up to the lights where it crosses the A565. Cross at the lights and folllow the bendy and badly rutted country lane until you find the Cheshire Lines path on the right. You can then follow this all the way to Maghull, crossing the Northern Perimeter Road and then shorthly after right onto the Leeds and Liverpool Canal towpath. You can then follow this all the way back to Bootle and Crosby. There are no serious (or even pathetic little) hills involved, but you do get to ride mainly off road through some nice countryside. I think it's about 20 miles. Good luck!
  • Lei9h
    Thanks guys.
  • Lei9h
    took myself and the missus to delamere forrest last weekend. good fun but have a few war wounds to show for it. peddle rash...ouch.....
  • Merseyside is a bit of a mountain bike wilderness - there's really nothing right on the doorstep. The good news is that you can take your pick of loads of great trails that are an hour's drive away.
    Llandegla is a popular trail centre out the back of Wrexham - can't move for scousers there. A lot of beginner options and the trails are clearly signposted.
    Delamere you've tried, a good hour drive will put you at hayfield which is the gateway to the Dark Peak.
    Northwest Manchester you've got Rivington and Winter hill, past Rochdale you've got Lee Quarry which is another trail centre (small, skills based rather than long routes - probably not one for the missus).
    Forest of Bowland is a good mountain bike area - then stretching the hour out you're into the South lakes.

If you're just getting into the sport you'll need to find the right trail that you'll enjoy at these places. But that's easily done by posting up here or elsewhere. Or join a club to learn the ropes - I know a few riders from the Woolybacks which is Merseyside based - not a member myself but it sounds like a good mechanism for starting out MTBing.
  • thanks for the info arturo.