Handlebar change - Campag shifters

robz400
robz400 Posts: 160
edited August 2012 in Workshop
Will be fitting new handlebars to my bike tonight.

When I remove the shifters (campag Centaur) will I need to disconnect any of the cables or do I simply undo the bolt under the hood, slide the whole thing off and then slide back onto the new bar?

I'm changing from the orignal ergo bars to FSA Omega Compact. Will this affect the the cable lengths or adjustments at all?

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Wont have to disconnect cables, just undo, slide off and on as you said.

As for lengths, who knows, are the bars the same width? Just have to try and see. If they are shorter you will just have excess outter cable. You could strip it all down and shorten if you felt like it.

If you dont change the lengths, no adjsutment should be neccessary.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Tis the answer I was hoping for :D Thanks

Bars are the same widith but have a shorter reach, I may have to change the stem for a slightly longer one that will hopefully take care of any slack.

Like a kid today, can't wait tio get home and begin the dismantling :D:D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No need to remove cables to change bars - simply unwrap the bar tape, release the lever clamp under the hood, remove bars from stem and wiggle levers and cables free. Compact bars are typically only 1cm shorter in terms of forward reach, so no real need to shorter cables IME. Make sure you align the levers / hood carefully before taping - I use a straight edge / spirit level to get them even. I wrap PVC electrical tape first to get the cables in situ and go for a test ride around the block before fitting the bar tape - it's also far easier to remove/rewrap bar tape over the PVC tape than against the bare metal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    And remember the clamp bolt in Campag shifters is Torx head, not hex. I find it easiest with a long T handled type.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS