Roadie wanting MTB

JimboPlob
JimboPlob Posts: 397
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I am a roadie, 6' 1" and ride a 56cm framed road bike (in 90% of situations).

I am looking to get a MTB to have a bit of winter fun if the weather is bad this year. The MTB world is very new to me so looking for some advice.

What ball park frame size do you think I would need?
I am looking at 2nd hand, something like a spez rock hopper (good choice?)
What are the generally considered "good" entry level brands/models?

Thanks

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Unfortunately MTB sizes are somewhat, erm.. random, I guess!
    Geometry varies a great deal from one MTB to the other, so differing manufacturers will measure in different ways, for example, by measuring the actual length of the seat tube, or the vertical height of it, or even the height to the top tube - but then top tubes don't always meet at the same place either.
    Bit of a minefield.
    To add confusion to the matter, some frame sizes don't actually change anything apart from the reach, or effective top tube length, even though they have small, medium, and large variants.
    Then of course, there's the issue that MTB reach, or cockpit size can vary by bike design and intended use. A racy XC machine will have a longer reach than a more playful All-mountain machine, or a freeride bike.

Best bet is to check a few out and see what feels comfortable. But, at 6'1", I'd suggest that you'd probably be best off looking at a "large" in most MTB ranges, as a starting point.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    JimboPlob wrote:
    I am looking at 2nd hand, something like a spez rock hopper (good choice?)
    What are the generally considered "good" entry level brands/models?

Thanks
    the voodoo and boardman range at halfords or the decathlon rockrider 8.1 are the usually recommended "entry level" bikes, really depends what your budget is ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011