New to Commuting

NewbieCommuter
NewbieCommuter Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
My apologies if this seems like ANOTHER post about what to do, but the choices are overwhelming. I am new to commuting and I will be riding 18 miles one way from Hoddesdon to Stevenage everyday for work. I have access to showers at work, so thats not an issue. My problem lies in which bicycle to choose. I have been to several cycling shops where the advice has ranged from 29er MTB with narrow tyres to all out road bikes, hybrids or cyclo-cross bicycles. Most of my riding will be on B roads with one or two sections on A roads. Because I will be doing the trip daily for a couple of months (hoping years) I am looking for a robust bicycle that can do the distance quickly but still built to last the distance and the years of pedalling.

I would also like to do the odd bit of towpath riding with my wife over the weekends. I have looked at the Specialized Allez, but will this bicyle accommodate slightly wider tyres for the winter months and towpath riding, or should I be looking for a completely different set-up? Initally I will be carrying a change of clothes in a backpack, so a carrier is not necessary from the get go.

Any advice on a quality bcicyle purchase for the long term commute and weekend pedal would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi and welcome. One question: how much do you want to spend?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Hi and thanks for the welcome. If at all possible I would like to be fully kitted for about £1000-£1500. I would be comfortable spending up to £750 on the bicycle alone.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Budget?

18 miles twice daily is a fair bit of mileage (although doable). A road bike would be most efficient and most fun to ride (important when you’re spending all that time in the saddle). 25mm tyres would be fine on towpaths (most road bikes should accommodate up to 25mm at least).

If it’s going to be your only bike to be used all year round then I’d get something that can accommodate full mudguards and you might also want to consider disc brakes (this will take you into CX bike territory).

You might also want to consider how you carry your luggage. Some people get on fine with backpacks but if you need to carry quite a bit that’s a long way to be lugging stuff on your back. There’s always the saddlebag solution (my preference) if you’re not keen on full rack and panniers.

A budget will make it easier for people to recommend specific bikes. If you like Spesh bikes something like the tricross sport would be ideal (albeit with slicker tyres for the road).
  • That's a fairly decent budget. For your kind of riding, a cyclo-cross bike is worth considering. I have one! Quick enough for road use with a bit of off-road versatility should you need it. Fittings for mudguards too. Fairly essential in our climate. I see the Spesh has been recommended, they have a few followers on here. Check out also Boardman, Pinnacle from Evans and Revolution bikes.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Hi and thank you for the reply. I am budgeting on maximum £1500. I have the option to ride 5 miles to the train station at the start to get me going, but ultimately I would like to get fit enough to pedal the roundtrip if possible. Are there any specific CX bicycles I should be looking at if I would like disc brakes and mudguard mounts?

One other question, I will cycling on relatively flat B roads. How long should this commute take? I am of reasonable fitness (runner) but haven't cycled for a couple of years (I realize this question is about as useful as asking how long a piece of string is, but a ball park would be nice). I have no preferance to branding, but just taking advice of others at this stage. Thank you
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I consider myself pretty "average" in terms of fitness and speed and I do 16 (fairly flat) miles in an hour ( a few minutes less on a good day).

So you're probably looking at a bit more than an hour for 18 miles. Of course you should get a bit quicker as you get more "bike fit".
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, I'd guess just a bit over an hour.

I'd also suggest a CX bike, disc brakes are good, but you might not get them for your budget, which isn't a total disaster tbh. The Boardman Team CX is good value, but a bit over your budget. A CX bike with 25 or 28mm slick tyers on should be pretty much as quick as a road bike. Mine is!

Well done on allocating a big chunk of cash to accessories and extras too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Here you go. Perfect commuting bike. Right in budget.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011
  • Do we know the size? CC's recommendation is for shortarses only :wink:

Audax bikes are quick, comfortable and have all the required fittings. If you want a medium size with mudguards and fittings to take rack etc. how about this
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Gawd - you could get the Tricross comp disc for that money (I'm thinking of replacing my 2009 Tricross sport with one)

Stick 28c tyres on it, you'll be fine. My mate, who is losing weight at an alarming rate, has the 2011 Tricross sport and managed his 1st sub 1hr 18 mile ride this week.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter