So, this Twitter thing...

Wrath Rob
Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So, I've just signed up for Twitter and picked a load of people to follow (a few mates, Team Sky, British Cycling etc). What next? Or do I just sit back and get subsumed by tweet overload? And how does this Trending stuff work? Any other good cycling related tweeters to follow?
FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Me.

Follow who you want to. You'll get an idea of who you like reading and who you don't. You pick up people worth following as people mention other names or retweet stuff they've written.

You can get involved a bit more and start tweeting specific individuals if you like the idea of that. I sometimes have twitter conversations with Vaughters for example (though that's not especially unique), but it requires a bit of effort to keep up a following and be interesting.

Trending is just stuff that is being mentioned a lot at the moment on twitter. So say there's breaking transfer news that van Persie is going to Man Utd, you can expect 'Man Utd' and 'van Persie' to be trending.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    50 shades of shit

- you know what I mean.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i find it quite boring to be honest

its seems to be full of filthy women though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    @GusTheFox and @50ShadesofAndyGrey have some crackers. It is like facebook except you don't follow your mates who bleat on about what they had for lunch or moan about it being Monday every week..
  • rick_chasey
    iPete wrote:
    It is like facebook except you don't follow your mates who bleat on about what they had for lunch or moan about it being Monday every week..

What is it with people on facebook taking picture of the food they're about to eat?

Sends me over the edge.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I find BetFairPoker hilarious.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    iPete wrote:
    It is like facebook except you don't follow your mates who bleat on about what they had for lunch or moan about it being Monday every week..

What is it with people on facebook taking picture of the food they're about to eat?

Sends me over the edge.

This is for you http://mashable.com/2012/08/21/leaked-iphone-5-video/
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    pangolin wrote:
    I find BetFairPoker hilarious.
    +1

And TwopTwips, SixthFormPoet and TheMaleNanny
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Sends me over the edge.

:lol:
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Sends me over the edge.

:lol:

What f*cks me off even more is that it usually looks like dogshite that I wouldn't want to eat anyway.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    Right.

Facebook is about telling people you know things they might be interested in.

Twitter is walking into a busy room and saying something that you think is important. Someone may hear you because they're geographically close to you, because they're listening out for specific words, or because they've previously heard something good for you and selected to hear everything you say.

It's f#cking pointless for 'personal' stuff and the flooding nature of the medium means that it's not even worth saying anything reasoned, considered, or worthwhile. Because you're in a room with 50,000 other people blathering whatever came into their head.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    What f*cks me off even more is that it usually looks like dogshite that I wouldn't want to eat anyway./quote]

there there
    calm down dear
  • clarkey cat
    what I like about Twitter is the way that TV watching is now a communal experience.

say you're watching Great British Bake Off - just search for the trend #GBBO and enjoy all the funny comments about the show you are watching. Media stacking. I like it.

The # phenomenon is to allow you to follow particular trends. Like #GBBO or #MUFC or #IanBeale'sHat.

Just doing it on facebook, BR or in an email is utterly pointless.

#justsayin
  • vermin
    All my friends are dung beetles.
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    All my 'friends' are dung beetles.

FTFY.
  • vermin
    what I like about Twitter is the way that TV watching is now a communal experience.

say you're watching Great British Bake Off - just search for the trend #GBBO and enjoy all the funny comments about the show you are watching.

Assuming you have a smart-phone, the Zeebox app is your friend for all that.
  • clarkey cat
    You assume correctly! I shall check it out.