New Forks Required, upgrade ideas welcome!

Eyeballs
Eyeballs Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Seems when I came off i've damaged one of the 'legs' of my fork. My LBS has said new forks..

I'm looking around the £250-£300 'budget' range, as this will be my first fork replacement since OEM.

I've got a Cube LTD Comp 2011which has RockShox 100mm Coil, and i think i've read on here that i can fit 120mm on it without too much stress. Thinking of upgrading to Air Forks.. but not sure what i need Solo, Dual air etc.

Is it worth upgrading to the maxle through bolt things? Or stick with my 9mm QR. Also, I dont get the tapered steerer thing - do I need one/are they compatible with my bike/worth it.

I've been looking around, and found some on different sites, but my mind is boxed with all the different versions out there.

Riding around trail centers, natural paths etc. No Mega Avalanche stuff!

And if you've made it down this far, thanks for reading!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so the fork is a Tora. what dont you like about it? or what would you change?

are you changing the wheels? no? then you need to use the same fitting as you have now.
    taper stterer. does your frame have a tapered head tube? no. then a fork with one will not easily fit and most likely will not fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Eyeballs
    The current Tora forks have done the job for me fine until I bent them out of whack. I have noticed that I'm bottoming out when I land from some drop offs (more than likely my poor setting up than everything else).

Thanks for the info about tapered steerer. The front wheel could be changed if a new fork was maxle instead of QR, but as I'm trying to do it cheap I think I'd like to kept the current fittest.

Seeing as I need new forks I though it'd be best to upgrade if possible, both to 120mm & air shocks. Though coil have done me fine so far. More travel & lighter would be my idea of upgrade.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    A RS Reba can be had for around £230, so I'd put my money on that! http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/f ... forks.html You have the option of changing the axle, but unless you have a reason, i'd save the money and stick with a 9mm QR.
  • Eyeballs
    I've been reading up and like the reba forks suggested. Though I'm tempted to move to the stiffer 15mm I think I'll stick to QR on this bike.

What's people thoughts on increasing fork length from 100mm to 120mm? Some say do it, others say don't mess with the geometry?

Thanks!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    if you bent a tora, you'll kill a Reba or Recon, the Tora is far tougher! How big are these drops?
  • Eyeballs
    I bent them when I had an off! Went down hard on one side and think its shifted inwards- maybe just the QR lug bit? Might have to take it to another LBS to confirm alignment. Though I have bent the seat post in the past. I am a bit of a man mountain powerhouse!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or a clumsey twit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for the Reba 120mm at Merlin for 236 quid - check your warranty though for the longer fork.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got 100mm Dual Air Reba RLs and they are brilliant.
  • Eyeballs
    Think i might get the 100mm to stick with the current geometry/warranty. Thanks for all the help!

From Cube:
    CAN I INSTALL FORKS WITH MORE TRAVEL AS PROVIDED IN THE STANDARD EQUIPMENT?

Category: FAQ, Technik

NO.

The installation of a fork with more travel will void the warranty. The bike geometry will be changed in a negative way, which leads to a different handling of the bike and can damage the frame permanently.

It is also not approved to install double bridge forks into CUBE bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you get the right reba, it will convert between 100 and 120. So who would know ;) ?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.