Which suspension forks will fit a Raleigh Kalahari Ltd Ed?

Bluesun9
Bluesun9 Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance!

I have an old Raleigh Kalahari Ltd edition with Deore LX gearset - Zoom seatpost and handlebar stem - titainuim bars - I think that the wheels are some upgrade too [ must get a picture on here ] I had it from new as a replacement for a stolen Trek back in the early 90's - I am not really up to date on MTB's as have been riding motorbikes and Green laning the last 20 odd years!!!

Can anyone please give me an idea of which suspension forks would fit this bike as I want to start using it again. It is in good clean condition and seems to be up to the job - just needs a service and something to help my teeth and wrists survive the lanes :) Looking for something in keeping with the age of the bike like rockshocks? Over to the experts?

Great forum btw!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Presumably V brakes, so need bosses?
    What size steerer tube?
    What is the current crown to dropout length?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    personall i would not bother. the frame will not be suspension corrected.

just fit some big fat tyres (eg 2.4s if they will fit) and good grips and have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bluesun9
    OK, so this is where I am just plain thick!

Yes to V brakes
    How do i measure the steerer tube? Is it still in inches?..........SORRY TOLD YOU - been a while...........
    Crown to drop out ? Help?

I think that the frame might be OK for suspension as they did a LTD version with rockshocks - sure i read that somewhere [ could be wrong ]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Bluesun9 wrote:

Yes to V brakes
    How do i measure the steerer tube? Is it still in inches?..........SORRY TOLD YOU - been a while...........

I think that the frame might be OK for suspension as they did a LTD version with rockshocks - sure i read that somewhere [ could be wrong ]
    but they would have been very short travel. 63mm maybe.

have a read of Parktools for how toos and sizes etc.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bluesun9
    nicklouse wrote:
    Bluesun9 wrote:

Yes to V brakes

but they would have been very short travel. 63mm maybe.

have a read of Parktools for how toos and sizes etc.

Excellent - Parktools looks perfect to get me back on track - cheers to both of you for the help!