ShareTheRoadUK

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Has anyone read the guff being spouted by car insurance firm 'ingenie' this morning? http://www.ingenie.com/share-the-road-uk Their suggestions include: Compulsory training and testing for cyclists before they take to the road

Irritatingly, BikeRadar have seen fit to endorse the campaign, as has Gary Lineker. Although a little digging revealed that Gary in an investor in the firm.

I'm getting a little fed up with car insurance firms using bogus stats and surveys; pretending to be on the side of cyclists etc all to stir up some PR for themselves. That Lineker is putting his name to this as an 'Ambassador' when he stands to profit strikes me as being deeply cynical.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Bizarre.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Er....in association with BikeRadar?
  • rick_chasey
    In fairness, a lot of people on here bang on about training and road awareness.

You get what you (collectively) wish for.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Ah, I remember my cycling proficiency... :)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Compulsory cycling profficiency test at school wouldn't be a bad thing.

Who is going to check though, and how?

Oh, a license, that you have to pay for. I see where this is going now.............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    That's so off the mark shifting blame for car drivers hitting bikes onto us, go dutch, that's the only way
  • rick_chasey
    It's going down the vehicular cyclist route.

Want to ride like a vehicle? Then you'll get treated like one....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Don't kids do Bikeability as standard anyway?

So we've got the education/training?

I suspect drivers want education for cyclists because they think we should be in the gutter, and training will remind us of that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm more bothered about the cynicism of the whole thing. Using cycle safety as a PR stunt is shoddy, opportunistic behaviour. As is Lineker's investor dressed up as 'ambassador'
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TBH, compulsory road training might be a worthwhile self sacrifice if road drivers had to do compulsory cycle awareness training. What we need is to be able to see situations from the perspective of other users whether we are drivers or cyclists.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    Rolf F wrote:
    TBH, compulsory road training might be a worthwhile self sacrifice if road drivers had to do compulsory cycle awareness training. What we need is to be able to see situations from the perspective of other users whether we are drivers or cyclists.
    But isn't that covered by the 80something % of cyclists who have a driving license?
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    I'm more bothered about the cynicism of the whole thing. Using cycle safety as a PR stunt is shoddy, opportunistic behaviour. As is Lineker's investor dressed up as 'ambassador'

That's pretty standard behaviour in any lobbying I've encountered.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bails87 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    But isn't that covered by the 80something % of cyclists who have a driving license?

you would think so

but the amount of cyclists who jump lights an ride basically crazy an all have licenses is shocking
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bails87 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Quite probably. That said, there is a mentality even amongst those of us that do both that is pretty unsympathitic to whatever form of transport we currently aren't using so it might still be useful for the 80 odd percent. There is certainly an argument to say that cyclists with driving licences might want a different approach to those without.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Think it would be ideal; but it would be impossible to police, save for in post-accident investigation scenarios. Lineker seems to have jumped all over the cycling bandwagon - he's also promoting the Ride London thing.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bikebiz has issued a slap against BikeRadar it seems http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/bikera ... ing/013522
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Oh for God's sake.

Look. It's quite simple. Go look up the definition of the word licence... what the hell: I'll save you time and do it myself:

1. (Law) a certificate, tag, document, etc., giving official permission to do something
    2. formal permission or exemption

Okay - it means PERMISSION or PROOF that you have permission

As cyclists we do not need permission to use the road. Nor do we need permission to walk on them, or ride a bloody horse. We have that RIGHT.

You need permission to use a motor vehicle on the roads because they're so dangerous, complex and lethal.

FFS talk about blame the f*cking victim mentality.

(as an aside - I agree with everything said in that article except for compulsory education)

(edit: and it looks like my comments parallel those said elsewhere)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bails87 wrote:
    That covers cyclists who drive seeing both sides of the coin.
    It doesn't cover drivers who don't cycle.

New suggestion - Mandatory for all drivers to cycle through their home town during rush hour before they get a license.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Be nice to get some perspective from BikeRadar on all this, until then I'm proudly using AdBlock :)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited August 2012
    So how is this "cycle license" going to work? If their campaign is successful and it gets introduced, will I be banned from cycling until I take the test?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I may have left a slightly sarcastic response on the article on Bike Radar...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    That covers cyclists who drive seeing both sides of the coin.
    It doesn't cover drivers who don't cycle.

New suggestion - Mandatory for all drivers to cycle through their home town during rush hour before they get a license.

Ah yes, of course, I was only referring to the cyclist education bit.
    MTB/CX

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mandatory cycle safety should be included in the national curriculum for both primary and secondary schools to help promote co-operation and tolerance between the motorists and cyclists of the future.
    Ok - include cycle training at school - can be part of PE I guess ... I had cycle training at primary school - and had to pass before I was allowed to ride in. It only covered basics like positioning and indicating ...
    Mandatory cycle safety elements should be included in the driving theory and practical test.
    Again - Ok - no bad thing that motorists should be aware of cyclists and their rights - along with the rights of peds and horses ...
    Compulsory training and testing for cyclists before they take to the road.
    Just NO ...
    If you want to promote a(nother) generation of layabouts then carry on - just WHO is going to pay for cycle training and the exam - how far down the line will it go? Will we end up with a cycling theory test too?
    What will be the minimum age - kids of 4 and 5 who ride on quiet estates (under supervision) could be breaking the law - but they're not meant to ride on pavements either ...
    Just who is at risk when an idiot takes to a bike? Generally the idiot and if you're really unlucky then a pedestrian may be hurt - but it is highly unlikely - compare that to the number of accidents and DEATHs caused by idiots in cars - vehicles where all you have to do is flex an ankle to go faster - and you can see why it needs to be licensed.

All they - including Bike Radar - have managed to do is publicly state that they believe that cyclists are a menace on the road and need to be taught what to do ...

54% of cyclists have not received formal training - that means that 46% HAVE already received it.
    Of those 54% who haven't - what's the age range, what/where are they riding and how have they been taught. I assume they know a bit about road use as they're not already dead!

Bike Radar - I am APPALLED at your decision to put your name to this campaign. Are you going to see sense and withdraw?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    To be fair, the campaign seems to be calling for cycle training for EVERYONE (as part of the National Curriculum) rather than just cyclists - I don't have a huge problem with that. Having had a very near (SMIDSY) miss this morning, I'm all for better awareness by motorists.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • slowbike
    #ShareTheRoadUK – tips for cyclists

If everyone does their bit, together we can make our roads safer for both cyclists and motorists. Stay safe on your bike and share the road with our top tips.

Be aware of the driver’s blind spot. If you can’t see them in their mirrors, they can’t see you.

Leave a full door width between you and parked cars in case doors are opened suddenly. Only 52% of motorists we surveyed always check for cyclists before opening their car door so watch out.

At traffic lights position your cycle in front of vehicles so you are clearly in view and use the 'bike box' where available.

Use lights at night or when visibility is low such as in rain or fog.
    Only 63% of cyclists we surveyed always use lights in the dark but this is the most common thing that motorists wished cyclists would do.

Try to make eye contact with drivers so that you know they have noticed you. Wearing bright clothing in the day and reflective clothing at night will also help you to be seen.

These tips are part of the campaign #ShareTheRoadUK. Read more about our campaign for a shared and safer future on UK roads here.
    What - no mention of HELMETS?
  • slowbike
    Look out for cyclists when in stationary traffic. Only 48% of people we surveyed said that they always look out for cyclists in traffic.

Cyclists may have to avoid potholes, puddles or debris; bear this in mind when overtaking.

Cyclists may be travelling faster than you think; take extra care at junctions. 75% of accidents happen at junctions but only 60% of people we surveyed always look out for cyclists at junctions.

Give cyclists as much room as you would when overtaking a car. This is the most common thing that cyclists wished motorists would do.

Take care when turning left; do not cut in front of cyclists.
    So - number 1 tip is "look for cyclists when in stationary traffic ... great ... so the driver is going to read that and think - pile of shite - I'm not moving - what does it matter where the fing cyclist is ... then stop reading the rest ...

What isn't mentioned?
    PATIENCE - drivers need this when they can't safely overtake a cyclist there and then.
  • bails87
    Cycle training is fine, it's licensing I don't like the sound of.
    MTB/CX

• slowbike
    bails87 wrote:
    Cycle training is fine,
    Depends in what form ... and if it's compulsory (before being allowed to ride on the road) then how is that going to be managed - through licensing of course!

I'm quite happy with cycle training as part of the school curriculum - although it might be a bit noddy for those in mid teens ... they'll stick to basics ...
    But if it's made compulsory to have completed a training course before being allowed on the road then it's going to stifle cycling growth in the UK.
    bails87 wrote:
    it's licensing I don't like the sound of.
    No do I - but that's what it'll come to ... then you can start collecting points on it - then get enough and they'll take it away from you ... on the basis that if you're a menace on your bike, you're going to be so much better behaved in a car?!

What's next - compulsory MOTs for bikes ... ?
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 97
    I've been trying not to get wound up by this and failing.

Yes, there are lots of people who would benefit from more comprehensive cycle training, whether that's to educate them about not going down the side of lorries, not jumping red lights, or on the other side of the coin how to behave when they're driving past cyclists, and I don't have a problem with that per se but there's a big difference between that and mandatory testing. Who pays for it? At what age do you take it? How does it get checked? How on earth can you impose it on people who already cycle perfectly safely?

But my bigger problem is the way it's dressed up as SHARE the roads when really it looks more like "get cyclists away from roads unless they are prepared play by our rules".

And is it just the cynic in me that thinks that the more controversial it is, the better the publicity for the firm behind it?

Anyway, I shall not rant on because I'm probably preaching to the converted here anyway, but I needed to get it out of my system!
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Gary Lineker says we are extremists

garysm.jpg