2013 Giant Trance X 29er 1

JTAC
JTAC Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in Your mountain bikes
I think I am the first person to get this bike and want to get rid of it as well. I have my own reasons for wanting to get rid of it already. I prefer my Anthem X4 over this bike. My personal opinion, I feel this bike looked better on paper. But everyone will have their own opinions.

Most of the customers that have anticipated this bike and come into the shop to ride it and then ride the Anthem right after....immediately like the Anthem better.

IMG_20120819_193022.jpg

Comments

• roger77
    roger77 Posts: 1
    What do you and others like better about the anthem? Didn't you like the trance at all?
  • JTAC
    I am just so used to climbing steep inclines leaning over a little. With the Trance you sit more upright which is good. But the wheel starts to lift very easily. Guess it'll take some getting used to.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Getting rid of that mountain of stem spacers will help combat the front wheel lift. It does look nice though.
  • JTAC
    True. I still got to put my Haven bars and stem on the bike.
  • Cool! Bike looks great! Have been looking at getting a new Trance to replace my Anthem 26ers...

Though not sure if I should get the Anthem 29er... Hmm....

I think you just need to get your position right on the bike, adjust bars, seatpost etc, maybe a shorter stem?

Would be interested in hearing more about this bike as it's on released over here yet....
  • JTAC
    Went ahead and installed my Haven bars and stem. Huge difference. Going from a 90 mm stem to 55 mm is a world of difference.

May keep this bike after all.
  • Great! So how does it ride compared to your Anthem 26er?

What made you choose the new Trance over the Anthem 29er?
  • JTAC
    My Anthem is a 29er. I chose the Trance for the 5" of travel and I get the bikes at 20% below cost. Will have to post pics of my Anthem later. Will post them in this thread.
  • Interesting, I'm trying to decide between the new Anthem and Trance... would be interested to hear from you, who has both bikes as to there differences...
  • JTAC
    Ok. Just got back from a ride with both my Trance X1 29er and my Anthem X4 29er. Climbing wise, I prefer the Anthem. Felt at home on this bike the most. Easily able to sit on the saddle while climbing. Whereas the Trance I felt I was having to stand and crank hard to ascend...even with pro-pedal on and front fork lock out on.

Trance was a bit better at handling the switchbacks and sharp cornering. Had to slam the saddle all the way forward to really be comfortable on climbs and descents. But then again the Trance is a 5" travel all mountain 29er; whereas the Anthem is a cross country bike. Really comes down to personal preference.
  • Just sounds like you need to have the Trance set up a bit more to suit you... bar and saddle positions, shock pressure etc... once you have that done it should help your climbing?
    I see the trance has shorter chainstays and the seat is positioned right over the saddle so should be a good climber..

Maybe the Anthem is best left until the XC season starts up again next year :)
  • JayKay3000
    JayKay3000 Posts: 163
    I remember when I got my carve and compared it to another bike as the bars were suddenly so much wider and in the trails it felt horrid to start with, other aspects took me a month to get used to and at times I regretted the purchase. It's 4 months on and I get on the old bike and instantly hate it as I spent 98% of my ride time using the carve it just feels so 'right' and I'm sure this will happen to you to. It's all about learning the bike because like like different cars, bikes all feel a bit different and take time to get used to. Your riding style may have to adapt and you may tweak the setup.

The only problem I see with the bike is that it's too clean. Ride what you like though. Don't take too much notice of forum opinions because we're all different. (Theoretically)
  • JTAC
    My Anthem X4.

IMG_20120822_102010.jpg
    IMG_20120822_102116.jpg
    IMG_20120822_102039.jpg
    IMG_20120822_102055.jpg
    IMG_20120822_102104.jpg
    IMG_20120822_102016.jpg
  • Question, how come you didn't go for the Trance X0, better spec, no spram groupset and better front and rear shocks?
  • JTAC
    IRL_MBiker wrote:
    Question, how come you didn't go for the Trance X0, better spec, no spram groupset and better front and rear shocks?
    The "0" model is on back order for a month. Prefer SRAM over Shimano. Better warranty. That model will appeal to some...but I wasn't fond of it.
  • Putting the 29er Trance aside for the moment, I just don't get the concept of a 29er 'trail' bike. A 29er XC, either FS or HT, is designed to go fast and roll fast. It's the prime choice of racers and that makes complete sense. A trail bike sits between a XC and an all-mountain bike, and personally I think its weighted more towards the latter. I just think a 26" coupled with a 125+140 front suspension is better placed, and more fun, for handling the twisties etc. Essentially, why try to improve on otherwise excellent offering of the Trance in a 26"?
  • JTAC
    Sold the Trance. Kept the Anthem.
  • JTAC wrote:

Can understand that totally.
  • emseens
    emseens Posts: 146
    lucifuge wrote:
    JTAC wrote:

Can understand that totally.
    long travel 29er's handles like cows
  • JTAC wrote:

Hmm..so what were your reasons in the end?

29er Anthem and Trance too similar?

You prefer a more XC/race orientated bike?

Have been looking at the 26er Trance, but those big wheels are too tempting despite what some may say..

Anyhoo, I plan on trading in my 26er Anthem for the Trance X0, the terrain I ride is mainly open mountain stuff, forrest singletrack, rocky fireroad etc...

Welcome opinions only from the likes of someone with 29er expierience, no Google Warriors pls!
  • JTAC
    IRL_MBiker wrote:
    JTAC wrote:

Hmm..so what were your reasons in the end?

29er Anthem and Trance too similar?

You prefer a more XC/race orientated bike?

Have been looking at the 26er Trance, but those big wheels are too tempting despite what some may say..

Anyhoo, I plan on trading in my 26er Anthem for the Trance X0, the terrain I ride is mainly open mountain stuff, forrest singletrack, rocky fireroad etc...

Welcome opinions only from the likes of someone with 29er expierience, no Google Warriors pls!

For some reason the Trance X1 29er wasn't doing it for me. I dialed everything in over and over again. The guy I sold it to loves it immensely. I prefer that XC/race oriented bike. But as weird as this sounds, I rode the Trance X2 29er on the trail the other day and I loved it. The only major modification I would add to it would be a Rock Shox RL rear shock. As opposed the Monarch R it has on there (just rebound controls). The brakes and shifting felt much more fluid and smoother on the X2 model as opposed to the X1.

Now I'm stuck. Do I keep my 4" travel Anthem and upgrade my rear shock and eventually wheels, followed by front fork and brake set to make it the way I want...or...do I, sell the Anthem and get the Trance with 5" of travel, with the brakes I want on it already and just upgrade the shock and wheels over time (all I would change on the Trance)?

As for the 29er wheel, people can say what they want. I prefer rolling over obstacles...not going around them. I prefer pedaling and getting lots of speed and momentum, not pedaling my face off to keep others in my site.

Biggest difference between Trance and Anthem besides travel was frame geometry. As well as the slacked out angle of the seat post as opposed to the near straight up variance on the Anthem.