Wider bars on zesty 514?

itguy2
itguy2 Posts: 88
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi everyone

I've just got a new 514 and all of the reviews I've read talk about how ripe it is for upgrading etc. I've never had a bike with bars wider than 680 and my old Crush has 680 high rise and a 50mm stem.

So, what real advantage would i see in wider 720 bars? Easton Haven Carbons or similar I presume?

I presume I'd be best leaving the lapierre stem on, I think its a 70mm?

I guess my question is a quick guide to stems/handlebars !

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do the current bars feel too narrow?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    itguy2 wrote:
    So, what real advantage would i see in wider 720 bars? Easton Haven Carbons or similar I presume?

I guess my question is a quick guide to stems/handlebars !
    it will move your riding position forward.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    itguy2 wrote:

I was under the impression you normally compensate for the wider bar with a shorter stem. But its no exact science more personal preference.

As the bike is new I'd spend some time getting used to it and maybe think about kit changes once I got to know it properly. Otherwise you could me making changes that aren't needed or even possibly changes for the worse.
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    I used to use Easton Monkeylite bars (685mm I think) with a 90mm Thomson stem and noticed a fair amount of flex, although the trail dampening of vibration via the bars was superbly comfortable.

When I moved to Race Face SixC bars at 725mm wide with a Hope 70mm stem the difference was noticeable. My descending confidence improved and I was hitting things that I didn't feel I had enough control over previously. I felt an increase in front end stiffness and 'tracking' over rough stuff.

I have recently moved to Easton Havoc Carbon bars @ 750mm wide with a Haven 55mm stem and love it. Finally feel I have got it about right on my Rocky Mountain Altitude (140mm travel front & rear).

The Easton Haven bars you mention are 711mm wide I believe.

Going for a wider bar moves your weight slightly further forward, due to the opening up of your arms/chest, so often people go for a shorter stem when they get wider bars, but I guess it's all down to body shape/size compared to the fit of your bike.
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    itguy2 wrote:
    Hi everyone

I've just got a new 514
    Then go and ride it.
    In time, you may discover that there's some things you want to change about it. Maybe not.
  • itguy2
    itguy2 Posts: 88
    Thanks everyone - yes, I have been riding it.

I suppose I was interested as all the zesty reviews I've read suggest that it's what the bike needs, not because I have a particular need or want to change them at this moment.

I'll see how I get on and take it from there

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    itguy2 wrote:
    Thanks everyone - yes, I have been riding it.

I suppose I was interested as all the zesty reviews I've read suggest that it's what the bike needs, not because I have a particular need or want to change them at this moment.

I'll see how I get on and take it from there

That's 'cos it's a very trendy thing to say.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I fear another classic case of "the magazines say to fit a wider bar and shorter stem so it must be better for everyone".

Along with how 1x10 will improve your sex life and a dropper post will enlarge the vegetable.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I fear another classic case of "the magazines say to fit a wider bar and shorter stem so it must be better for everyone".

Along with how 1x10 will improve your sex life and a dropper post will enlarge the vegetable.
    I believe it's called "MBR syndrome".
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    That's the one.