Specialized Allez 14/16/24

Moif
Moif Posts: 46
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hello,

Proper newb question. I'm on the hunt for a 2012 and have seen them advertised as 14, 16 or 24. What do these numbers correspond to?

Thanks.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I think it willl be the number of gears

14 = 2 chainrings x 7 speed cassette
    16 = 2 chainrings x 8 speed cassette
    24 = 3 chainrings x 8 speed cassette

Cheers
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    16 and 24 is the number of gears ...

the 16 usually has a compact on the front - 2 rings - 39+52
    the 24 has a triple on the front - with the smallest being what is generally referred to as a granny cog - helps you get up steep hills without having to walk!
    On the back will be a standard Shimano HG50 8 speed - bear in mind that this is entry level stuff these days.

I've not seen a 14 before ...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Slowbike wrote:
    16 and 24 is the number of gears ...

the 16 usually has a compact on the front - 2 rings - 39+52
    the 24 has a triple on the front - with the smallest being what is generally referred to as a granny cog - helps you get up steep hills without having to walk!
    On the back will be a standard Shimano HG50 8 speed - bear in mind that this is entry level stuff these days.

I've not seen a 14 before ...
    The 14 is cheaper than the already budget 2300STI set. Has flappy paddle shifters that wouldn't look out of place in a ww2 plane
  • Moif
    Moif Posts: 46
    Thanks chaps.

And entry level is exactly what I'm looking for :)