Specialized Crosstrail - alternatives?

pdsalmon
pdsalmon Posts: 55
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Looking for a pair of bikes for me and the Mrs, to be used on canal toepaths, converted railway paths, light off road use - hardtail required.

Happened upon the Specialized Crosstrail, seems to fit the bill, but not a massive fan of Specialized (nothing against them, they just don't light my fire)

Anybody know of any other similar bikes that fit the bill? Budget up to £500 per bike, but happy to spend more on mine and less on hers as I might use mine with mates at weekend too (IE she won't need disc brakes, but I might etc etc)

Any help or suggestions welcomed!

Thanks

Pete

EDIT - 700c wheels would be nice but not essential...

Comments

• Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    I have a Crosstrail matey and it's a great bike. You should really consider one as I think they are ideal for what you want. The only thing I have against the crosstrail is that they seems to be slightly lower specced for the price compared to other brands, but I bought mine because I've had Specialized bikes in the past and liked them. I live near you too, in Newcastle, and it's perfect for all the routes around here, I go riding around Apedale quite a bit.
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I have one of these (in pro, but mainly the same) and its great. Really fast and comfy, without any gimmicks. http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-sl- ... 79008.html
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Also, worth a look at a 29er. With skinny tyres would match any hybrid on the road really, but with way more off road potential. Look at this for a sub £500 option: http://www3.bike-discount.de/bilder/xxl ... -black.jpg (I realise they're out of stock, but you should be able to find one). Hargroves have some for £539. Add in £40 for some road tyres and youve got a 700c hybrid, and a 100mm travel XC bike in one.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.