rear light advice

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I would appreciate some advice on rear lights.
J commute on a mixture of roads some of them very busy and narrow.

I currently have a cheapie rear light and am getting another one for my helmet. Do I really need something like the exposure flare or will a couple of extra cheap rechargeables do?

I am not clear of the advantage of a super bright rear.

Thanks

Comments

• My 2 cents...
    If you are in traffic, I find reflectives are more inmportant as your rear lights get lost amongst car rear lights.
    I also use flashing rears rather than ones that stay in the on position so I stick out a bit more.
    I currently use a Blackburn Mars http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9112 in Knightrider/Cyclon mode (side to side), with a small flasher on my lid.
    2xAA rechargables last me the entire week/10 hours +.

I use brighter lights (exposures) when i am out on quiet country roads. Gives motorists more time to see you.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I have the fiber flares also, I will be getting a hope district 3 light and a cateye 360degree visibility rear light, the more lights you have on the rear the better, Cars have blind spots so the more you shine the more likely they will see you, try putting the fiber flares on your side, If you have a crappy small light the traffic lights street lights will over power its visibility, you need more lumens to be able to battle against those lights, High viz only really work in dusk lighting not so much at night time, I was like you last year getting crap lights but I have learnt my lesson, you will only end up spending loads on batteries and lights falling off due to poor quality, invest in at least one decent rear light. If you are on a narrow street or bendy road the brighter rear light will shine the path behind you and cars will be able to see your light if u are on a corner, It also gives them more sense of spacial awareness, as darkness can be tricky to judge just how close something is.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    If you are happy to spend the money, then you can buy something which will keep you visible in any conditions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rijf8tZWoY

A Dinotte 400r won't get lost with other lights.
  • phil.j
    phil.j Posts: 11
    always used a cheapie one set to flashing, never a problem