Strava

danlightbulb
danlightbulb Posts: 701
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Just got this on my new phone. Love it. The ability to compare oneself against loads of others, track your PB's, split times etc, create your own routes / sections. Only went out this afternoon and I want to go again right now to try and better my times!

Anyone else use it?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    nah, nobody on here anyway
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Nope.... there's not a BikeRadar (unofficial) club set up or anything. And even if there was it wouldn't be called 'Crudders Gang' or anything like that. :wink:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'll have you know that my club is entirely official, I got endorsement from the site itself!

Or not, but yes, it exists, so we can all stalk each other!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Yup, I use it from time to time but only to time myself on the DHs. If you pay attention to the comparison chart with the faster riders you can see where there is hidden time to be made up which is interesting
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Yup, I use it from time to time but only to time myself on the DHs. If you pay attention to the comparison chart with the faster riders you can see where there is hidden time to be made up which is interesting
    Can you do a comparison side by side on the chart? Mine shows a key but either my trace or the person I've selected from the league table.

Had never thought about using it to identify where I'm losing out. That'll add a whole other element!
  • njee20
    There are 3rd party add-ons that will compare your traces. Without it appearing as sour grapes it shows the inaccuracy of many of the traces, I noticed that folk who have the fastest time often appeared to stay still for quite a while, then jump ahead, guess it's the sampling rate on some of them.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I've had another look (got me interested!) and if you hover over the graph it tells you where you are ahead or behind. It then shows two dots on the map (shame it's not bigger) so you can figure it out.

Need get get out at the weekend and see if I reel in some of those seconds....... :D
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    I use it with a few guys I ride with. I love the fact that it logs my distance and timing + elevation climbed, so I can view it later.

I can compare my rides and see where I have improved my fitness/times which is good. Yes, I can also compare to my mates, but they are mostly faster than me, so it's more about spotting when I have improved my own times on certain segments, which shows an increase in fitness/confidence/ability ish !! :)

Is a fun tool to use. the only thing is that some of the guys find problems in the gps working for a whole ride and we sometimes get marginally different distances etc - for a ride we did together! That may come down to different phones with different GPS tracker accuracy?
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    I've got a Garmin 500, my mate's got a 704 and sometimes we still come out with different distances by as much as 1km in a 20km ride, not exactly convincing. Phones can make it even worse too. I guess the main thing is not to take it too seriously.

http://www.strava.com/runs/18625394 is a fine example of this (not by me, but it's on my clipboard so since I'm posting vaguely on topic).
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Shucks, doesn't seem to be supported by blackberry.
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    I use it...... It's great!
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Yeah - on the unreliable measuring ......

I really use it to compare my times and distances for ME, rather than compare with others.

So if my Strava shows a 15 mile ride last week and 20 this week I know I've done a longer ride - even if it really was 15.2 miles versus 20.2 when measured accurately - or against a friend ! It means I keep track of my routes which are measured 'like-for-like' each time.
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Add ons... http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/06/turbo-charge-your-strava-data-with-these-third-party-api-tools/

Segment Details gives you the history of the leaderboard, and how the KOM times are improving over time.

RaceShape allows you to see any 10 riders best times as a real time 'race', which can be fun

Multiple Ride Mapper shows you 'everywhere you've ever been' (for anyone... so set 'privacy' for your home in Strava)... and even more handily everywhere anyone who ever rode through a specified segment went on their ride - which can throw up some interesting route options.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • DodgeT
    Anybody using it via BB?

Joined strava, downloaded gps logger II and have recorded a route (walking around work). Have set the export settings to my gmail. But, nothing seems to be happening and I can't find how to manually send the files..
  • njee20
    Go to Strava/Upload Files/Upload a file from my Computer (or whatever it is)/Find file on your BB (having plugged it in)/done.

No? That's how I do it on my Garmin.
  • DodgeT
    Was expecting the "export via email" to work but doesn't.

Can see files hooking it up with the cable, but only .gpl's, even though i've told it top use .csv, as thats all strava will take. Hmm, see this is going to be longwinded.
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Shucks, doesn't seem to be supported by blackberry.

No, but if your BB can chuck out a TCX file (or find an app that can) you can upload it manually from a PC
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • Such an addict! once you start there is no stopping!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Pretty much! I've just spent the day battling with a few virtual nemesis'. I've a few more KOMs at Stile Cop and some more top 6s... But I can't for the life of me work out how the hell the top three on some of the runs are so much faster than me!! There's some damn good riders out there - and I ain't quite one of them!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you're in the north east check out stravatrailracing.co.UK. there's a Sheffield based version as well but not sure of the url for that one.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • DodgeT
    So...... tried gps logger II, seemed to track route pretty good (on a walk with the dog) but, can not for the life of me get it to go into strava, just won;t go into anything other than a .gpl(?) file.

Then tried endomondo, piece of wee wee, save straight into a .gpx and load into strava. Now this was just recording a quick walk around (inside, so probably explains the results...) the factory this afternoon . I got up to 46.1 km/h also, bring on the olympics :)

Shall have to try it outside tomorrow. Be good to get it working as off to stile cop on sat and i'd love to see how slow I am..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Note with Endomondo, you can let it auto upload during the ride or hold off until the end if you want to save data & battery. Also, whatever you use, if there's an option to auto-pause... turn it off!!! It messes up Strava in my experience, though does give you loads of KOMs but they'll be false (like doing a 10 minute climb in 2 seconds because you pushed up slowly so it paused).
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    DodgeT wrote:
    So...... tried gps logger II, seemed to track route pretty good (on a walk with the dog) but, can not for the life of me get it to go into strava, just won;t go into anything other than a .gpl(?) file.

Then tried endomondo, piece of wee wee, save straight into a .gpx and load into strava. Now this was just recording a quick walk around (inside, so probably explains the results...) the factory this afternoon . I got up to 46.1 km/h also, bring on the olympics :)

Shall have to try it outside tomorrow. Be good to get it working as off to stile cop on sat and i'd love to see how slow I am..

Jealous?
    Slightly peed off?

Me too..

Let us know if you get that working, trying to figure out how to get it working on a windows phones...pffft
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    runtastic with blackberry works then logon using pc to runtastics website download the ride data and upload to strava simples.