19 mile commute - Bib tights or just tights?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,946
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Just looking forward to the coming months, when i will need some more warmth.

I have plenty of what I deem nice kit, ie Santini, Cannondale, Mavic etc etc, but have been fine on the commute so far using 2 pairs of dhb shorts, and 2 pairs of Nike ones I picked up for a bargain a fair while back.

I have 4 nice pairs of bib tights, Santini X 2, Cannondale and Shimano, but am thinking of keeping these for weekends and just buying some padded bib tights, or even just tights for the commute.

Bibtights obviously give more warmth, just hanging space is limited at my work, in terms of the length of garments I can hang (under my desk usually) so tights would have the edge there.

What do you people tend to go for?

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    If you're commuting every day, especially over that length, you'll want (or need) a fresh pair next to your skin. Instead of buying 4 pairs of padded tights, save money by getting some unpadded tights to wear over your shorts. You can then wear them for some/all of the week (depending on how sweaty you get or if it rains). Wiggle are doing some good deals on DHB tights right now, I've just got a mid-weight and a heavy weight pair for £43 for both.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Always a bib of some form. Not for anything other than to keep them up.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Having lost an amount of skin where one does not want to lose skin, to non-bib tights that slipped down a bit and started rubbing, I'd definitely recommend bibs.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If the temperature will be under 10 degrees for the duration of a ride I always wear unpadded longs over padded bibs shorts.
    Reason apart from the cold? I already have the shorts anyway and for commuting the home leg may be warmer so you won't need the longs.
    Always use bibs. They are so, so much more comfortable than plain shorts.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • How about some Lidl specials? At less than a tenner a pair you can afford a few.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Roubaix leg warmers and your summer bib shorts? That's what I tend to wear in the winter.
    To be fair, for commuting I generally wear some overshorts too (e.g., rapha or swrv 3/4 shorts) so don't need additional warmth round my arse
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the replies chaps,

many options there.

I too prefer bibs for ultimate long ride comfort, but have had no issue wearing non bib padded shorts for my commute, it's only just over an hour each way you see.

Good call on the Lidl items, I am going there to pick up some socks anyway, so might try a couple and if the fit/pad is rubbish will just return them for a refund.

Leg warmers are also another good call, decisions, decisions!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    This guy looks like he's wearing bibs for his commute:

http://www.wimp.com/smallestbicycle/
  • daniel_b
    prj45 wrote:

Superb!

Went to Lidl this am, picked up some socks, though they do not seem as well designed as previous ones, expect they will be ok for the commute.

Picked up some medium bibs (smallest size they do confusingly) but they are just too big, I am about 70kg with a 38 inch chest, and they are far too roomy, so sadly they have to go back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    prj45 wrote:

Superb!

Went to Lidl this am, picked up some socks, though they do not seem as well designed as previous ones, expect they will be ok for the commute.

Picked up some medium bibs (smallest size they do confusingly) but they are just too big, I am about 70kg with a 38 inch chest, and they are far too roomy, so sadly they have to go back.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18