Rocky Mountain Altitude

BigAirNig
BigAirNig Posts: 296
edited October 2012 in Your mountain bikes
Well - with the evenings closing in, I bit the bullet and got some off-road lighting to mean I don't hit trees n' stuff !

Got a Fluxient 3,000 lumen front light!

Few pics in the back garden .... just taken with my iPhone 4s - no flash - so hardly the highest tech low-light camera ever .....

Taken whilst sitting on my bike.
50% Power setting >

5B14A82E-CB21-46AF-AA40-41FE115991F3-44748-00002AFF6AB7491C.jpg

FULL power >

9992355C-8FBC-4BAE-AD59-3CE2B1293268-44748-00002AFF78806430.jpg

Looking forward to riding with it tomorrow evening to see how I get on, now I can see what's coming on the later part of the ride !
Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)

Comments

• Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Is it durable and got link to where you got it from? (will take a look)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Nice, how much? I'm looking at getting some cheap lights for night riding this year, been looking at the magicshines...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • BigAirNig
    I got mine off eBay (new) for just under £140 but they also do a 1,600 lumen one for about £90 or you can try the 1,000 lumen T6 mini if you can find one (try google if needs be) they have pics of the light in use and all seem pretty good

There is a site that reviewed various types of lights and each of the Fluxient ones seemed excellent for the price - compared with others up to £300/400 !!

Nig
  • ilovedirt
    Ah cool, what is the mounting like? I'd probably go for a less powerful (cheaper) one myself, and if i like it, get a second. One for my helmet, one for the bars.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • BigAirNig
    If you look on e-bay you can see the light with it's mounting, which is basically a plastic cuff that opens to slide over the bars and a single bolt to tighten on. The small top piece allows the light to slide on & off [with a gentle click in to position] and rotate a few degrees to get the left/right beam-angle correct.

To be honest I found the mounting a bit of a nightmare - it has 3 different rubber inserts to go inside the mount, so it won't slip on the bars. If I used the chunky one I could not get the bolt to reach it's nut to tighten it up and the thinner ones meant that when fully tight, it was not holding the bar firmly enough to stay put. I managed eventually, with the mount on the oversize part of the bar near the stem .... but this should/could have been simpler I feel. I may end up putting some electrical tape around the bars, to add a slither of thickness to hold it firmer. Will see after tonight's ride.

See it here >

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluxient-3xU2 ... 544wt_1398

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000-Lumen-Fl ... 577wt_1398

http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_ ... _P593.html

It puts out enough light that you may not need a helmet light too .... although I know some like to be able to point the light where they want, in the direction they look. I may do also....

I was going to get the Fluxient T6 Mini to attach to my helmet, which at around £40 and 1,000 lumens is a neat option I reckon.

Original listing below > (but not available on e-bay right now - may need to contact them directly to ask when they will have more?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 866wt_1141

Cheers
    Nig
  • BigAirNig
    Oh - I first found the models on this site (below) and found it a useful comparison of light brands and their output ...

http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/bi ... abase.html

Cheers
    Nig
  • ilovedirt
    cool, thanks for the info :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • BigAirNig
    Did my first ride with this light last night and loved it. Really bright and confidence inspiring to be able to see the route ahead so well.

Think there will be many more night rides to come now !

Nig
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
  • BigAirNig
    Ah - here it is !! Freshly washed after a mucky ride last night !

My Rocky Mountain Altitude:

FBE2AF01-6AFD-45D8-B46D-726209E3A31A-45330-00002C591FBA1FD1.jpg

F924FB45-6866-4082-8664-01DF61FF92A6-45330-00002C592EB41630.jpg

0F725BAE-1786-452B-BC39-BE60D9BA0E12-45330-00002C593FDD8FC3.jpg

Frame - Rocky Mountain Altitude [Fox RP23 Shock] 140mm travel
    Forks - Fox Float RL 32 [140mm]
    Headset - Chris King
    Stem - Easton Haven - 55mm
    Bars - Easton Havoc Carbon - 750mm
    Grips - Lizzard Skins ODI lock-on
    Seatpost - Thomson Masterpiece Setback
    Saddle - Selle Italia Flite XC Gel Flow
    Seat Clamp - Hope QR
    Chainset - Race Face Next Carbon 175mm + Turbine rings
    Bottom Bracket - Hope
    Wheels - American Classic MTB26 Tubeless
    Tyres - Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 - Front / Continental X-King RaceSport 2.2 - Rear
    Brakes - Formula ORO-K24 Disc
    Gear Shifters - XTR
    Front Mech - XT
    Rear Mech - XT
    Rear Mech Jockey Wheels - Mount Zoom Speed Wheels (ceramic bearings)
    Cassette - XT 9 speed
    Chain - XT
    Pedals - XTR Clipless
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I was impressed when I saw the first picture of the light, but when I saw it was only 50% power I was amazed!!!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Just wondering how it's working out for you now you've had it a few months? I'm looking at getting on of these, but there's no US sellers so I'm going to have to order straight from the factory in China, which would make RMA's a huge pain.

Hoping to get a little more feedback before I pull the trigger. Any overheating issues? Everything still holding up well?

Thanks in advance!
  • Hi

Am loving the light. My mates keep jesting 'CAR!' as it's more like a car headlight on high beam !

Excellent throw & spread of light - attached to the bars with battery strapped within the bottle cage on down tube. Very confidence inspiring to have such vision!

Not used it for a full ride yet, but the last 90-120 mins in the dark on 100% power with no issues at all yet.

So - so far I can't say anything bad about it from 5-6 evening rides - having charged it before each and used it for 1-2 hours

Cheers
    Nig
  • Hi Nig,

Thanks for update!

Yeah, the only thing that worries me a bit still is thermal overload since it is SO bright. I live in Arizona, where summertime ride start temps can still be near 38°C at 7pm at night. But I think I am going to risk it! Worse case, I figure 50% power output on this thing is still probably 20% brighter than my old MagicShine 808. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Night rides are wonderful now that lighting technology has gotten so good, eh?

Thanks again,
    Eric.
  • I'm overheating just thinking about that !!

:shock:
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    very tempted to get one, as annoyed when i get infront of mate with his Maxx D, MJ808 fails :-(

now £130 from here
    http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_ ... _P593.html
  • BigAirNig
    That's an even better deal !

I agree with the review on their site .... a better bar mount would be welcomed, but that's about it .... once attached it works fine.
  • eddyesi
    eddyesi Posts: 198
    assume you can leave the mount attached and slide the light head off though, which is fine for most for 6mth of dark nights

am very temptes, was going for the MJ 782 or 880 but for a few £ more these sound stonking, 1000lm on low/mid will do me with 2000+ on high cant go wrong, assume the beam pattern is ok too?
  • BigAirNig
    Mount is ok once on, yep!

Beam pattern shown in pics above ...... it's great ...... :P