Seatpost & Saddle (Light and comfy)

Jomox
Jomox Posts: 250
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Sorry to make another one of these topics but need any advise anyone has.

I am looking for a strong lightweight seatpost but unsure which of the ones I'm considering will be the best for xc/am (Not sure if the carbons will hold up?) and also looking for anyone with experiences of the saddles I'm considering (How comfy they are and strength, cannot try before buying) Of course if you have any other recommenations then that will be welcome. (I like the looks of the C2 saddle the most)

Seatpost:(Needs to be 31.6mm)

Kore T-Rail: 205g
Easton EC70 Zero Carbon: 215g
Controltech Team Issue 1: 220g
FSA SL-K Carbon: 224g
Thomson Elite: 228g

Saddle:

Selle Italia SL Kit Carbonio Manganese: 240g
Selle Italia X1: 265g
Selle Italia C2: 270g

Upgrading from the following:

Scott Components Seatpost: 354g
Unknown Seat Clamp: 29g
Clarks Comfort 2 Saddle: 370g

This is for a Scott Scale 60. The Clarks saddle is quite comfy but it's ugly, heavy and can sometimes hurt a little after longer rides, so want to change and in the meantime chuck of a little weight. Also trying to keep cost below £60 on the seatpost.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    How much do you weigh, and what size post do you need?
  • Jomox
    Sorry just edited what size posted, it's 31.6mm and I currently weigh 98kg.

Thanks.
  • supersonic
    If you are riding mainly XC, as the bike suggests, then this will be fine:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=801&
  • Jomox
    Yeah all pretty much xc nothing heavy (some mountain stuff but its all xc trails) Post looks nice also and light, put it on my to get list.(31.6, 300)

Some nice other parts there also at carboncycles, thanks for the link.
  • I use an Easton EC90 carbon post (190g) and a Bonty Evoke RXL (145g). The saddle is very comfortable.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I Beam?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Jomox
    giantAstax wrote:
    I use an Easton EC90 carbon post (190g) and a Bonty Evoke RXL (145g). The saddle is very comfortable.

Post is a bit to expensive (£90+ from crc?) Also the eXotic Carbon Titanium is 173g (The length I'll probably get) and only cost £43. But the saddle looks nice and is good price. (+Light) You have the carbon or carbon version? Can't afford carbon one but the none carbon is still light at 168g for large so right now it's looking tempting to get.
    I Beam?

Saddle or post? (Some of the saddles look light, but would need I-Beam post also?)

Looking at my list of saddles and comparing to these they seem a bit heavier (The Selle Italia ones above)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    but would need I-Beam post also

Yes, and they break, I'd avoid.

I've also got a RXL Evoke Carbon, and find it very good, imagine the non-carbon one is just as comfy. Used to really like Spesh Phenoms as well, the SL is not silly money and sub-200g.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I think some of the quoted weights for the seatpost might be out.

Its best not to scrimp on the post though, buy something with a good reputaton and a decent clamp. Now worse than a poorly designed post on a mtb.

For saddles, have a look at a Sell SLR, 135g's. They are often reduced at Planet X or you can get them fairly cheap from ebay.
  • njee20
    SLRs are good, but don't last IMO, I used to wear through the cover in a winter without trouble, they look tatty very quickly.
  • styxd
    I havent had any problems with SLRs (on my road bike though!)

I got a specialized toupe (i think) ti for the mtb, it was reduced to less than £40 at the time. Thats pretty light and comfy.
  • Jomox
    Thanks all for the information. RXL Evoke is looking the most tempting saddle currently, I trust supersonics link to the post and its light/cheap (Only thing I don't like about that post is the color of the text as the bike is all black/blue/white/grey pretty much)
  • njee20
    I havent had any problems with SLRs (on my road bike though!)

Fair bit cleaner there! I only had problems on the MTB.
    I got a specialized toupe (i think) ti for the mtb, it was reduced to less than £40 at the time. Thats pretty light and comfy.

Aye Toupes are good, prone to cracking though, and the bits on the back can snag your shorts if you're not careful, and the nose is very hard. Prefer Phenoms off road myself, Toupe on the road.
  • Jomox
    Only thing don't like about the RXL is the price but it will be worth it I guess. I like the saddle supersonic linked to due to it's weight just not sure I like the looks of it now (Won't really suit the current bike) love the price and weight though. (Which is always a plus)
  • njee20
    Some fine sandpaper will take the decals off if you're really that fussed. Or check out KCNC.
  • Jomox
    Not that fussed really, price is nice (with the lightness also) so guess will see how it looks.
  • Jomox wrote:
    giantAstax wrote:
    I use an Easton EC90 carbon post (190g) and a Bonty Evoke RXL (145g). The saddle is very comfortable.

Post is a bit to expensive (£90+ from crc?) Also the eXotic Carbon Titanium is 173g (The length I'll probably get) and only cost £43. But the saddle looks nice and is good price. (+Light) You have the carbon or carbon version? Can't afford carbon one but the none carbon is still light at 168g for large so right now it's looking tempting to get.
    I Beam?

Saddle or post? (Some of the saddles look light, but would need I-Beam post also?)

Looking at my list of saddles and comparing to these they seem a bit heavier (The Selle Italia ones above)

Nah, not the carbon one. I was using an Easton EC 70 which is cheaper (at Merlin) than the EC 90 but I wanted to change the layback (or rather remove it) so needed a new post and Merlin has some specials on Easton stuff. The seat is really good. I found a second one for £38.99 at All Terrain so I bought it as a spare or to use if I ever get my hardtail running again.
  • njee20
    The EC70 is a cheaper post than the EC90 full stop. If you find an EC90 cheaper buy it!
  • supersonic
    Had my exotic post for nearly two years now. It slipped a bit at first as the ti bolts bedded, but has been rock solid since, one of my best ever buys. Weight is as quoted.
  • njee20
    If you felt the overwhelming desire to spend something like EC70 money then check out Woodman EL or New Ultimate posts (same, different decals!) the alu ones are c£100 and 130g.

Unless we're talking a crazy light bike I'd get the Exotic one!
  • styxd
    The guy weighs 98kg, wouldnt fancy using a 130g post at that weight!
  • njee20
    Didn't notice that. I'd be losing weight rather than worrying about what lightweight saddle to use, and I'd definitely avoid Toupe saddles - I've broken 3 and I weigh 67kg!
  • Jomox
    funny, weighed my self today and now 96kg, so am losing weight but dunno how much I can lose :mrgreen:

But with clothes, ruck sack on can easily add over 5kg to my weight, so right now on the post is over 100kg, and even with weight lost maybe minimum 90kg in future when kitted up.

So should I be looking at something not? Will the exotic hold up? (Sounds like it will) But generally I need to upgrade saddle so will do the post also (As it is quite weighty as well)
  • njee20
    I suspect it'll be just fine, was a general comment about chasing lightweight parts for grammes here and there when you could stand to lose 25% of your body weight...
  • Jomox
    No problem, just had me worried for a sec. Looks like will be going for the eXotic & the RXL then unless someone else brings something new to the table which is tempting.