9 speed or 10 speed

jandre78
jandre78 Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I need to replace the chainset on my Giant Yukon. It's got an old square taper casette type BB and my options for this is quite limited. I have decided to get a new BB and at the same time to take the plunge and upgrade from my 3 x 8 setup. I will be going for some shimano components and have looked at the Deore M590 with a BB51. What I would like to know is should a go for a 3 x 10 setup rather than the 3 x 9 I am currently looking at? Will there be much added benefit? I ride mainly cross country and venture out to Woburn sands from time to time. I ride for fun and fitness and have no intention of doing anything competitive.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you go for 10 speed you will need a new rear mech. You can use your existing one with 9.
    Expensive upgrade - what's your budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    I've also recently been looking at going 10 speed, but its costly! everything needs to be replaced! 8 to 9 speed is pretty straight forward, you replaces the cassette and chain when they wear out for 9 versions and buy one new shifter. wear your cassette and mech out first and your looking at £30 for SLX shifter and 9 speed upgrade

However 10 speed you need to replace the rear mech along with it, and ideally the front mech too. this is getting much bigger figures, looking at closer to over £100.

Is it worth it? Probably not!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • jandre78
    I have a 8 speed Alivio mech on the bike at the moment, would that work with a 9 speed cassette? My LBS has quoted me £80 for M590 fitted including facing the frame. On top of that I can get a cassette, RD, FD, Chain and Deore shifters from Merlin for £120. Merlin has a Deore 10 speed groupset for £246.99 including hydraulic discs http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/deore-10-speed-disc-brake-groupset.html This seems like a really good deal. But if I can get away with not changin over some of my * speed parts then it will be a no brainer.

I really like the feel of my Yukon and I am really comfortable on it. For the last year I was riding a Boardman HT pro and thus grew used to higher spec components than what the giant has. Hence the urge to upgrade more than what is absolutely required at the moment.
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    That Deore 10 speed groupset is pretty good value, depends if you need the brakes or not? If your currently running Vees then go for it! If your really set on 10 speed that groupset is probably one of the cheaper ways to do it! personally I would go for an 11-36 cassette if going 10 speed but thats not big deal.

I think i think it hinges on whether you need the discs too? If you want to upgrade your brakes at the same time, thats a cost effective way to do it all at once, otherwise I'd save your money and go 9 speed for less, if is an 8 speed Alivio you could probably get it to work with 9 speed but it's unlikely to be as smooth or consistent as a 9 speed unit.

At the end of the day all comes down to how much money you want to spend!
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The mech will be fine. If it was me I'd just replace with 8 speed bits - cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I ride at Woburn as it's 5 minutes from my door :-)

My bike is 3x9 and never had any problems riding the various trails. Just built up a new bike also 3x9. The cassette, chain, chainset, both derailleurs and brakes cost me £200 all in from CRC (all Shimano Deore).
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • jandre78
    Thanks for all the advice guys. My forks, chainset and brakes are my top priorities. I have Hayes mechanical brakes and the lever and shifter are integrated. Thus I figured if I'm changing quite a few bits to get hydraulic brakes I might as well take the plunge and upgrade to 9 or 10 speed. However I have just bought a fork from CRC and noticed that I can get the Alivio (square taper) cranks from them for £25! So for now it will be that along with the recon solo air I have just bought and I'll keep my eyes open for some nice brakes.