Are you smooth or hairy...?

djhermer
djhermer Posts: 328
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hey folks

I'm pretty new to the forum. I've been cycling for a number of years in various states of consistency (11 or so). Completed a couple of 100 milers in 2010/11, completed a triathlon season (taboo on here I know!) and have commuted to work on and off for the past 18 months - 25 miles each way (fair weather admittedly).

A recurring knee and achilles injury has led to me jacking in all other exercise (running, squash and anything that involves impact...even disco dancing). So as of June this year all efforts were on the bike.

Currently averaging 100-180 miles/week and endeavouring to get all I can in prior to the nights drawing in. Booked in for New Forest Sportive in October and IoW in December as early winter tests.

So.....my question is, in your opinion, how serious to do you have to be to shave your guns? Smooth legs must take some maintaining and we all know the real benefits are negligible a best. It's more a done thing.....but when does it become the done thing? Of course I know its all personal, and that's what I'm interested in...

Do you shave and if so why? What are the pros and cons?

I'm blessed with a fair covering so as well as the shock factor to all those who know my hairy pins, there'd be some serious maintenance. And what about the itchiness??!

So, do you prefer 'em smooth or left to run wild??

DJH

Comments

• djhermer
    Whoops. That's clearly in the wrong forum...early days.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Really can't stand body hair so have mine waxed at the same salon missus uses about every six weeks. Nowt to do with cycling really...then I always was weird
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Back, crack & sack once a month
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    hairy.
    i like to collect the flies when out cycling in the country
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I wouldn't bother unless racing or doing/getting a lot of massage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its nothing to do with speed.

its a bit to do with cleaning wounds after crashes (although hair growing back through them hurts like hell, so I hear).

and a lot to do with the fact that pros have regular, intensive sports massages after each days riding to help them loosen up and warm down. If you have ever had a deep sports massage on a hairy leg, you can imagine how it feels.
  • djhermer
    coriordan wrote:
    its nothing to do with speed.

its a bit to do with cleaning wounds after crashes (although hair growing back through them hurts like hell, so I hear).

and a lot to do with the fact that pros have regular, intensive sports massages after each days riding to help them loosen up and warm down. If you have ever had a deep sports massage on a hairy leg, you can imagine how it feels.

Yup - got that. And that's my point really. I wondered if anyone did shave their legs for the benefits (massage, rash, wounds) that also doesn't class themselves a 'pro' and if so, why? So rashes, crashes and massages are less of a frequency (massage of course comes in many different guises.... :wink: ). And what was the tipping point from going hairy to smooth.

I'm intrigued but don't know why - perhaps i have a subconscious and unhealthy fixation on men's legs. I don't intend to start shaving as I don't consider the pros for myself to come anywhere near the cons (maintenance, time, regrowth). I also don't need to 'shave' milliseconds off my times through any potential aerodynamic effect - i've just bought a new helmet for that :wink:

Also, i can rarely be bothered to shave my face, let alone an area considerably larger.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dunno. Guess help to know why you are doing it and the reasons if someone asks!

Search the forum (especially commuting chat!) where there are some very detailed discussions on where the hair stops!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I use a set of Wahl hair clippers and do a number 1 on my forearms and legs once a month, no guard everywhere else. Shaving your own back is pretty hard graft but possible with enought practice.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    generally, people shave their legs when they start racing, and then don't go back to hairy legs ever again.

that's about it.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    coriordan wrote:

As someone who's an expert in falling over on a regular basis, usually at a standstill thanks to the cleats. I can report having a cut knee with hairy legs hasn't been a problem.

I'm guessing smooth legs is one of those things people do, because they see the pros do it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Of course smooth.
    Wearing lycra with gorilla legs does not appeal.
    All the hard work in getting awesome calf muscle must be shown off to their full potential.
    And it feels great!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I did it once just to see what it was like. This was well into my 40s and after a lifetime of being on a bike. Have to report that it felt a bit odd but nice with it in an strange sort of way, bit I didn't bother keeping the smoothness going; didn't see the point when all I was doing was commuting, sportive & solo rides. Wife never even noticed. :(
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I don't; yet. But I do see the advantage of it all be it small ones. Easier cleaning up wounds after a good slide down the road and it does look better than mammoth legs under Lycra. I don't have deep sports massage but have regular physio. The only time I see it as a cause for comment is lying on a beach and the pointing fingers and questions about your T-shirt sun tan.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    wayne1978 wrote:
    Of course smooth.
    Wearing lycra with gorilla legs does not appeal.
    All the hard work in getting awesome calf muscle must be shown off to their full potential.
    And it feels great!

THIS!!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    used to be hairy all the time, this year for the first time decided to shave, much better! bit addictive and as already stated, does show definition of calfs off much better (very important!)
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    peejay78 wrote:
    generally, people shave their legs when they start racing, and then don't go back to hairy legs ever again.

that's about it.

+1

This is no word of a lie...I was getting 10ths and stuff in races with hairy pins and then I shaved my legs and the next results were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd.

Shaving my legs made me a winner! It was clearly nothing to do with experience, hours and hours of painful training come rain or shine...it was all about the hair. I'm pretty sure if I wax my chest team sky will be on the phone within hours.