2013 SLX 48/36/24 crank. Does it exist?

lostraveller
lostraveller Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in MTB general
I read an article earlier in the year that said Shimano will release a 48/36/24 SLX crank in August. I cannot find any reference to this anywhere else. Will it be released or was the article wrong?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Is there some particular reason you want that combo of chainrings? Do you live somewhere really flat or have the legs of Chris Hoy?

Shimano website doesnt suggest the article spoke the truth, that's all I can tell you.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Is there some particular reason you want that combo of chainrings? Do you live somewhere really flat or have the legs of Chris Hoy?

Shimano website doesnt suggest the article spoke the truth, that's all I can tell you.
    I was told I would need higher than a 42t when going down hill. Will be bikepacking and touring on a Fargo or Ogre. Do you think a 44t would be more appropriate. Will 24t be low enough with 11/36 cass.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    look at the LX trekking cranksets.

do you have to pedal when going down hill?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paul.skibum
    Depends how fast you want to go and where you are riding - I toured in Austria with a 22/34/44 crank and a 7 spd cassette (cant recall the ratios) - 22t let me winch up the hills, 44 let me crank it out on the flats and mild downs, if it was too steep to keep pedalling down I was probably goign as fast as I wanted to go!

What terrain you riding, how much are you carrying? I dont know the bikes you mention but I assume we are talking on road/packed tracks?
  • Depends how fast you want to go and where you are riding - I toured in Austria with a 22/34/44 crank and a 7 spd cassette (cant recall the ratios) - 22t let me winch up the hills, 44 let me crank it out on the flats and mild downs, if it was too steep to keep pedalling down I was probably goign as fast as I wanted to go!

What terrain you riding, how much are you carrying? I dont know the bikes you mention but I assume we are talking on road/packed tracks?
    Mainly gravel/dirt roads bikepacking. Any loaded touring I would like to keep to the same type of roads and tracks. Im sure I will need the 22t for the hills. What make was the 22/34/44 you used?
  • paul.skibum
    it was on an old raleigh but it was standard size SIS shimano thing I recall. Depending on the distances you are covering I'd think about the longevity of the BB as well as the gearing - some of those outboard bearings might not be the greatest for touring - I havent had huge problems with them but some do.

My mate and I both had standard cranks on our bikes - no huge road gears or anything - on the flat we were getting 18 mph but generally still werent in top gear as the limit was drag from panniers and so on but we werent ina huge rush either - our biggest day was a little over 120km when we wanted to get the hell away from the Danube and into the mountains. Danube is dull if you ever go that way!

Neither of us had massive bail out granny gears on the back - 32t probably I think and 22 (maybe 24) on the front.

You are taking a back pack rather than loading the bike? Hope you are considering carefully what you take and loading - I'd consider at least a minimal rack for the bike for tent and sleeping gear.

Ask in Road - Touring section too - loads of good advice over there.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    I read an article earlier in the year that said Shimano will release a 48/36/24 SLX crank in August.

Why SLX you can get the Deore cranks 48/36/26