What size bike would best suit me?

Gabbo
Gabbo Posts: 864
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
My inseam is 35inches (87.5cm) and my overall height is 187cm (about 6"1 .5)

I am having slight trouble in choosing the correct frame size for my needs. Every salesman has been quoting me different frame sizes, even when it's for the same modelled bike (Specialized Tarmac).

A salesman from Pearsons reckoned I would be compatible with a 56cm frame of the Specialized Tarmac. For that very same bike, a salesman from Evans thought I would fit a 58cm bike, possibly 60cm! In CycleSurgery the salesman was quite confident that 58cm was my size, even though his fitting method was for me to raise the bikes top tube against my crotch whilst the he measured the distance between the surface of the floor and the bottom of the tyre. Is standover height that relevant when it comes to finding the correct bike size? Or should we take more notice of the top tube length?

These are the frame dimensions of the Specialized Tarmac:

Size 56:
Top Tube Length, horizontal - 56.5cm
Standover height - 80cm

Size 58:
Top Tube Length, horizontal - 58.2
Standover height - 82.8cm

Size 60:
Top Tube Length, horizontal - 60cm
Standover height - 85.7cm

I do seem to be all legs, so I'm unsure what kind of influence this may have to fitting a bike.

Comments

• snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    have you tried googling bike fit as there are many online now to give you a rough idea

I found http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO to be pretty good for me
  • Coldcorn
    Coldcorn Posts: 36
    I've found Competitive Cyclist one to be good, however I now prefer: https://www.wrenchscience.com (Fit Calc in the menu bar).
    Bikes:
    Felt F2 Di2 [2012]
    Verenti Millook
  • Gabbo
    WS Recommended Road Sizes
    Frame Size center-to-center: 58 cm
    Frame Size center-to-top: 60 cm
    Overall Reach: 71.31 cm
    Saddle Height: 78.50 cm
    Handlebar Width: 46 cm

Mind you I did measure myself, so not all measurements may be accurate.

Your Measurements
    Height: 187.00 cm
    Sternum Notch: 62.00 in
    Inseam Length: 35.00 in
    Arm Length: 26.00 in
    Shoulder Width: 18.00 in
    Flexiblity: 3
    Weight: 185.00 lbs
    Foot Size: 10.00 UK
  • When i brought my first road bike i looked at all different makes and models, i eventually settled on an Specialized Allez the guy in evans sized me to a 58cm. I took his advice, as i was a novice, and after a few months it was obvious that the bike was all wrong for me, i am long in the leg but have quite a short reach for my height. After much deliberation, and an understanding wife, i sold it and went shopping again. I came across a shop that i hadn't been to on my original shopping trip, (pedal on) and they were fantastic. The sales guy in there gave me the best piece of advice i have heard in a while, he simply said " i can tell you that you need a large or extra large,based on your measurements till the cows come home. But if it doesn't feel right then it isn't right." So i tried all the sizes in the defy range and i am now the happy owner of a very comfy 2012 defy 1 in size medium/large (53.5cm). Almost everyone on here will probably say otherwise but i would forget sizing charts and just buy what ever FEELS right for you.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    When i brought my first road bike i looked at all different makes and models, i eventually settled on an Specialized Allez the guy in evans sized me to a 58cm. I took his advice, as i was a novice, and after a few months it was obvious that the bike was all wrong for me, i am long in the leg but have quite a short reach for my height. After much deliberation, and an understanding wife, i sold it and went shopping again. I came across a shop that i hadn't been to on my original shopping trip, (pedal on) and they were fantastic. The sales guy in there gave me the best piece of advice i have heard in a while, he simply said " i can tell you that you need a large or extra large,based on your measurements till the cows come home. But if it doesn't feel right then it isn't right." So i tried all the sizes in the defy range and i am now the happy owner of a very comfy 2012 defy 1 in size medium/large (53.5cm). Almost everyone on here will probably say otherwise but i would forget sizing charts and just buy what ever FEELS right for you.
    Absolutely right, go to your local bike shops and see what bikes they stock; whilst there ask them about test rides. Narrow your list down to 2 or 3 bikes by reading reviews and then go back to the bike shops and borrow the bikes for 2 or 3 hours at least. Ride your normal roads and see which feels best for you. If you have to buy on-line then make sure they do a test period - Wiggle for example allow you to try a bike for 30 days (not all sale bikes so check first).
  • I am looking to purchase my first road bike, my sizes are as follows:

Height: 193.00 cm
    Sternum Notch: 63.00 in
    Inseam Length: 35.25 in
    Arm Length: 26.50 in
    Shoulder Width: 19.00 in
    Weight: 208.00 lbs
    Foot Size: 12.00 UK

I'm thinking I'll be between a 58cm and 61cm frame, probably leaning towards the 61cm frame. Hoping people can give me a bit of guidance. I'm looking at the Specialized Allez as my first bike on the road to Rio 2016 :wink: Thanks
  • I would caution against over complicating this.Bike manufacturers are usually pretty accurate when estimating which size bike will suit a rider of a certain height.
    With this in mind,look for bikes that increase in size by small increments. Preferably your height will land in the middle of the suggested range rather than at the edge.
  • Gabbo
    apbenton wrote:
    I am looking to purchase my first road bike, my sizes are as follows:

Height: 193.00 cm
    Sternum Notch: 63.00 in
    Inseam Length: 35.25 in
    Arm Length: 26.50 in
    Shoulder Width: 19.00 in
    Weight: 208.00 lbs
    Foot Size: 12.00 UK

I'm thinking I'll be between a 58cm and 61cm frame, probably leaning towards the 61cm frame. Hoping people can give me a bit of guidance. I'm looking at the Specialized Allez as my first bike on the road to Rio 2016 :wink: Thanks

Well I'm 187cm and after a 58cm frame. If you're fitted to a 58cm, then surely I'm a 56? I have roughly the same inseam length as you, so I'd assume you're after a 61cm frame?
  • RiderUk
    RiderUk Posts: 71
    Hi Gabbo - Having spent the last couple of week's going through what make,model and bike size to go for I can fully understand what you are going through.
    Based on my height (6 ft)I went for a Giant Defy 2 (Medium/Large) Seat tube 53.5cm & Top tube 57cm.I tried the next size up (large) but found the reach just a tad long.I was lucky to find a dealer who had both sizes in stock.
    Have you made any progress in finding the right size bike yet?