Trek replacement rear QR ABP ?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
Guys I'm after an aftermarket rear qr can't seem to find any that s longer than a standard fitment,

Any trek owners out there she'd any light cheers.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    KCNC do them as a pair, or New Ultimate/Parts of Passion (same product, different branding) do them.

I had the KCNC ones, and they were utter toss, it'd be better on your bike, but on the ABP Race on the Top Fuel it was too long, so I couldn't use the captive nut. Still didn't go really tight. Not confidence inspiring.

I'd get a ti Bontrager one, barely any heavier, but far more reliable and much more sensibly priced than the NU/PoP ones!
  • Anonymous
    Any links buddy

Need to loose 15 grams to get into the 24 lb mark lol
  • njee20
    Google broken? ;-)

KCNC

Parts of Passion

15g sounds about the same as the saving on some aluminium bolts...

Trim your seatpost and steerer if appropriate and get one of these, far cheaper and more sensible.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers buddy,
    Ain't cheap are they lol

As for trimming my seat post is mega long,
    I'm changing the stem washers in favour of fsa carbon so lose a couple of grams there also need to update bike thread y carbon saddle arrived this morn weighing 98 grams.
  • njee20
    Carbon headset spacers often aren't that light, these are about the lightest.
  • Anonymous
    Shit didn't see that this morn,
    Just ordered the fsa 20mm carbon from them, gutted
    Looking into changing hope seat qr for a lighter option, trek do sum crap sizes ain't seen any kcnc or carbon in trek size either.
  • njee20
    Used to be 36mm for Trek alu frames, which is bigger than most come, dunno if they still are. Get an allen bolt one, significantly lighter, even the Hope one is pretty light.
  • Anonymous
    36.4 looked for kcnc but not for that size my take lever of. Mine and put a bolt through instead.
    Was looking into getting a other frame the carbon version there's one on the bay but the rear triangle is alu .
  • njee20
    Not the end of the world they've flitted around between alu and carbon back ends.

The Hope allen-bolt clamp is quite a lot neater than the QR one, much shallower collar and the bolt is recessed. Would look much better, for the sake of £8 or whatever, compared to just sticking a bolt in yours.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers buddy,
    Looking into it now.
  • Anonymous
    Njee,

Cheers for the links I've ordered the kcnc ti ones ;)
  • njee20
    Oh well, good luck!

I'm glad Iwent back to the Bonty ones, far better! Only a couple of grammes difference in the ti ones too.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Oh well, good luck!

I'm glad Iwent back to the Bonty ones, far better! Only a couple of grammes difference in the ti ones too.

They should. Be alright been reading reviews from other peeps. :mrgreen:
  • njee20
    To be fair the problem with the back one is just that you can't do it up as tight as the Bonty ones, and mine creaked once they got muddy because the cam fills with crap. Probably fine in California/Taiwan.

Because it's more of a through axle the strength wasn't an issue. The front one was just scary though. I use a Mt Zoom skewer on the front wheel, 1g heavier, but feels like the wheel's actually tight. The levers on the KCNCs are just too short to be any good IMO. Still, good for hanging your bike on scales!
  • Anonymous
    Well postman dropped these of this morning,

Kcnc ti in black
    On first impressions they look like the old hope qr's until lifting out the box these are light.
    As for the fitment both clamped up tight enough no drama's there However levers are on the small side but I can leave with that.
    C0F8F212-9AF5-4ED2-A6F5-EAD0353DCFC5-8186-0000092E708354B8.jpg
  • njee20
    Have fun when they're full of grit! I used to make sure I had a large 'lever' of sorts to get them undone if it was particularly bad.
  • Anonymous
    njee20 wrote:
    Have fun when they're full of grit! I used to make sure I had a large 'lever' of sorts to get them undone if it was particularly bad.

Grit! its a show bike :lol: