No WIggins at World TT Champs

13»

Comments

• ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    I'd want them rainbow colors over many things, that's for sure.

Even over the opportunity to win the Olympic title on home soil, which is a once in a lifetime opportunity when the Worlds occur year in year out?

Wiggins has made it clear that he wants to create a cycling legacy, and winning this year's Olympic title has increased the profile of the sport in the UK to no end. Winning the Worlds overseas over London 2012 would not have had this effect or be celebrated within the UK quite so much I suspect...

To repeat myself for the third time. Something about "the one everyone wants" qoute. - That's what Wiggins said. Everybody would be the key word here.

Do you not think that's a bit tongue in cheek though?! I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Wiggins where he is dead-pan all the way through, and he wouldn't (at least I hope!) knowingly undermine the Worlds after British Cycling's achievement in 2011.
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Chinny isn't riding the worlds either anyway.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,101
    ThomThom wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Even over the opportunity to win the Olympic title on home soil, which is a once in a lifetime opportunity when the Worlds occur year in year out?

Wiggins has made it clear that he wants to create a cycling legacy, and winning this year's Olympic title has increased the profile of the sport in the UK to no end. Winning the Worlds overseas over London 2012 would not have had this effect or be celebrated within the UK quite so much I suspect...

To repeat myself for the third time. Something about "the one everyone wants" qoute. - That's what Wiggins said. Everybody would be the key word here.
    In that context I think by 'everyone' he means him, Cancellara and Martin being the only ones with a chance. And as has already been shown, that's indeed what they did want.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Oops, deleted
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    ThomThom wrote:
    Wiggins already has 6 rainbow jerseys.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,204
    Whether or not the Olympics TT trumps the Worlds TT in the general case I'm not sure. But it's pretty obvious that this year, for a British rider, winning the Olympics TT in your home country which is a once in a lifetime opportunity is going to rank above winning the Worlds TT this year.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Daz555 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    Wiggins already has 6 rainbow jerseys.

Michael Mørkov is a World Champion well.. Let's stick with the road for now, shall we..?

(no miscredit for either athletes achievements btw)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I've been wondering this since the olympics.

I understand you get to wear the champions jersey in that event for as long as you are champion - so the world champ wears the rainbow jersey all year a la Cav.

But, is there an order of preference if someone wins multiples? I've never seen it but I suppose someone would wear the WC jersey in preference over their national champions jersey - but if Brad did win the WC what colours would he wear? Is Olympics higher than WC? Do you get to choose? A combination?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:
    I've been wondering this since the olympics.

I understand you get to wear the champions jersey in that event for as long as you are champion - so the world champ wears the rainbow jersey all year a la Cav.

But, is there an order of preference if someone wins multiples? I've never seen it but I suppose someone would wear the WC jersey in preference over their national champions jersey - but if Brad did win the WC what colours would he wear? Is Olympics higher than WC? Do you get to choose? A combination?

You're not allowed Olympic branding in any professional sporting event. Sanchez just made do with some subtle gold details on shoes, helmet and jersey.

WC takes precedence over any national champs jersey and leaders jerseys take precedence in any given race
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I thought I remembered someone wearing a white jersey with the olympic rings around it but maybe I'm imagining that then.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    DeadCalm wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    I didn't expect to convince Brits about it anyway, though..
    Well, according to Fabian Cancellara, his main aim for the year was the Olympics...
    http://www.fabiancancellara.org/cancell ... ic-double/
    Tony Martin too...
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/olympic ... in-in-2012
    So it looks like Wiggins might have been right when he said that it was the one everyone wanted.
    But Cancellara's Olympic goal was the RR not the TT.
    It sort of says this in your link, and Cancellara actually voiced this goal in an interview he gave as long ago as 2009, as well as in interviews since, including in Spring 2012.
    Yes, he was entered for the TT, but it wasn't his Olympic goal, so one can't really use him in any argument about whether the Olympic TT title is what he (as a big TT-er) would have liked to win most, because it just wasn't.
    He actually wanted to do the double. Note though that he was targeting the double at the Olympics not at the Worlds. His season was always focused on the Olympics and not the Worlds.
    He was targetting the Olympics because he’d already won the WC TT four times. His other big goals (as voiced in the June 2009 interview) were the Tour of Flanders, which he achieved in 2010, and another big RR. So for him, that other big RR was going to be the Olympic RR and so that was his Olympic goal. After all, there aren't many other big RRs which he hasn't won already (and which suit his ability and style).
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    NapoleonD wrote:

Shame, but he has had a hard season.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    NapoleonD wrote:

Shame, but he has had a hard season.

It's only been hard on his collarbone.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Milton50 wrote:
    "For me (it is) not big at all, I am the Olympic champion. That is the one everyone wants to win,"

Strange comment to make. Maybe the Olympic TT was genuinely a bigger deal for him this year but I think he might regret not having a go at the worlds when he is in this kind of form.

He has said many times that this years Olympics (being in London/UK) is once in a lifetime and that the prospect of winning on home turf was a great motivation. The Olympics this year was most certainly a bigger deal for him than the Worlds.

Sure, I can understand why it would be a bigger deal for him this year. I was just surprised to hear him claim that everyone else would rather take the olympics than the worlds. I was even more surprised to hear that Martin and Cancellara had pretty much said they were targetting the olympics over the worlds themselves. I had just assumed that the prestige and tradition of the World Championships would make it the bigger deal.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    "For me (it is) not big at all, I am the Olympic champion. That is the one everyone wants to win,"

Strange comment to make. Maybe the Olympic TT was genuinely a bigger deal for him this year but I think he might regret not having a go at the worlds when he is in this kind of form.

He has said many times that this years Olympics (being in London/UK) is once in a lifetime and that the prospect of winning on home turf was a great motivation. The Olympics this year was most certainly a bigger deal for him than the Worlds.

Sure, I can understand why it would be a bigger deal for him this year. I was just surprised to hear him claim that everyone else would rather take the olympics than the worlds. I was even more surprised to hear that Martin and Cancellara had pretty much said they were targetting the olympics over the worlds themselves. I had just assumed that the prestige and tradition of the World Championships would make it the bigger deal.

I take your point for Canc and Martin, it does seem odd...unless they see it that they've already won the World title and the Olympics would be another strong in the bow (or two strings in Canc's case!)? As for Brad, I'm pretty sure that comment was said with tongue in cheek...
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.