streched out to much?

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
So finally got to ride my new Canyon SLX8, first impressions are its bloody quick, neartly crapped myself going into a corner way to fast...dura ace brakes are thankfully very good considering the bad things i have heard about 7900 groupset . :)

One issue though is that size wise the bike feels very good but unsure if the stem too long at 110mm as im quite stetched out even with seatpost pretty much fully forward, is there a good way to judge whether im too stretched out or is this the normal "racy "position that im not used to.

i have tried the "looking down at hub" test and the hub is behind the handbars but given this a racy frame im unsure if this the best test, but my arms are pretty much stragiht when resting on the hoods.

advice welcome
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    How tall are you? What is your inside leg measurement? What frame size did you buy?

You most probably arent used to the racey, stretched out position yet. Give it time and get used to it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    i have tried the "looking down at hub" test and the hub is behind the handbars
    I'd get a shorter stem - line them up ...
    but my arms are pretty much stragiht when resting on the hoods.
    So are mine when "cruising" ... but if I want a bit more speed I tend to bend them down a bit before dropping down to the drops ...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Pushing the saddle forward on the rails is not the best way to compensate for reach - amongst other things, it can throw your weight forward onto the front wheel making high speed cornering more tricky. Saddle height and set-back is determined by your leg length whereas bar height and reach is determined by your torso and arm length combined with your flexibility. A shorter stem and maybe a shorter-reach 'compact' handlebar might be in order?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • styxd
    Although a shorter stem isnt ideal, longer ones tend to handle better and are better for out of the saddle climbing.
  • when im in the drops i really feel very stable just not used to being such a racy position given im looking "up" rather than natural position .

just wasnt sure if resting on the hoods is normal to be stretched out as much as i have seen other cyclists much more upright with their "good bikes"(good bikes mean looking like a proper cyclist lol)

but atm its only been 4 rides and nothin more than 20 miles atm with avg speed around 17-20 Mph so i guess i need to get used to this more...
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    edited August 2012
    If it feels uncomfortable then there is clearly something wrong,certainly shortening the stem will help but by the sounds of it your way too far stretched....

My arms are not fully straight when on the hoods...

which in the long run will only bring more complications....
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • styxd
    What size bike did you get and how tall are you?