replacing a worn out Truvativ X-Flow

nik_c
nik_c Posts: 61
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have got a truvativ x-flow crank set on my bike that has had its day. The (especially middle) chainrings are worn to the point where any attempt to go uphill will make the cahin jump and slip.

I am about to take ti to the bike shop to hear some opinions there, but what would the experts here think is a suitable replacement taking into taccount that:
- I want this to be also an UPGRADE, so would expect from the replacement to last longer, be smoother, etc (what other qualitties can I expect from a crank set / chain set
- be reasonably priced (i.e. around the £80 mark - not sure if that IS reasonable to expect quality at this price?)

At the moment I am taking the bike out almost everyday for an hour for bridle-/footpath and back street cycling, if that helps?

Thank you for your ideas?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Increasing the quality does not mean it lasts longer.

I'd spend £10 and buy just a new middle ring.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or stick a Deore on at about £50
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    I have a truvativ x flow, and have not found a way to remove the rings, they are all attached to one another so can't be replaced separately, haven't yet found a tool to remove them all, and LBS had nothing either.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • Chunkers1980
    Must be really shooot then. Do as CD says above then. Get the shell faced too, easily under you budget.
  • nik_c
    yes, the truvativ x-flow is one big lump, I can't replace individual rings on it. Woud I be able to do that on a Deore for £50? Has any of you ever felt it necessary to be able to do so?

I guess replacability of individual rings would be a good reason to go for one where that is possible - especially seeing as the middle ring is the one I really use most (what about you...?). I am also thnking of replacing the chain also, - thnking that if the ching rings are really worn the chain is probably not in a good state either ....

thanks for the many replies straight off and so far!

Nik C
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes Deore 590 you can change the rings.

If you change the chain you need to do the cassette too. I'd see how it goes with the just the new cranks first.

Look on Merlin and CRC to see which is cheapest for the cranks iirc they are £55. If your current setup is not external type then you will need to get your LBS to face the shell too, say £15 for that.
  • nik_c
    was just looking at the Deore m590 (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Revi ... elID=40496)
    I have got an 8 speed cassette at the back - do I need to take this into consideration when deciding on the chain set?

Waht do you mean by "face the shell" if my set up is not external?

Thanks,
    Nik C
  • cooldad
    The Deore will work fine. They come with an external BB so it is advisable to get the BB shell faced, but it doesn't cost much.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • symanoy
    basically, smoothing out the outside surface of the BB shell, removing any paints, uneven metal etc so its a perfectly smooth surface to allow the BB cups to sit flush.
  • Chunkers1980
    symanoy wrote:
    basically, smoothing out the outside surface of the BB shell, removing any paints, uneven metal etc so its a perfectly smooth surface to allow the BB cups to sit flush.

Yes it is that, but it is more - it is also to ensure the shell edges are perfectly parallel with each other.
  • nik_c
    OK, back from the bikeshop now. he says it is a good idea to replace the casstette (I got an 8 speed) and the chain as well, as they are likely to be worn correspondingly to the chain set teeth in the front.
    Also, I found out that I have got a "tapereed square" bottom bracket.

Does that now rule out a Deore M590, or does the " *Please Note: BB is included* " mean that this complete part is included in the set?

Nik C
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes that's a full set and will fit, you need to face the bb shell
  • nik_c
    Last questions (I think)

If I go for the Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40496), do I need to get 9 speed or 8 speed chains in the future.

If it turns out I need a new cassette (currently I have an 8 speed cassette on a mavic 2011 Cross Ride 6-bolt disk wheel), and if I go for a 9 speed cassette, do I need to get a new rear mech as well (currently an SRAM index shifter that has a little indicator on the handlebar showing which gear is selected).

Thanks!

Nik C
  • cooldad
    Match the chain to the cassette, and the mech should be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • symanoy
    If you put a 9 speed casette on you will need a 9 speed shifter mech should be fine though.
  • nik_c
    The old Truvativ has an internal tapered bb and the Shimano Deore Chainset 9sp M590 seems to have an external bb. Can can they be used interchangably? Or is this what can be done with the facing of the BB?
    Thanks,
    NIk C
  • Chunkers1980
    Not interchanged. Take one out, face the shell. Fit new
  • cooldad
    Depends what you mean by interchangeably. See above for why the BB needs facing.
    The bits from the different sets are not interchangeable.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nik_c
    I guess I have just found the answer to my question: the shimano chainset works on bottom brackets that are either 68mm or 73mm wide. My old truvativ is 68mm wide, so it hsould all be good....
    http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/ ... 747488.pdf
    leaneringn one thing every days ...
    Nik C
  • nik_c
    "leaneringn one thing every days ..."
    spelling obviously not one of them.