Hamburg, anyone?

Pep
Pep Posts: 501
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
I am applying for a job in Hamburg.
Slim chance to get it, the job is as good as I could ever possibly get.

I have never been in Hamburg. I hear is a very large, affluent, green, cosmopolitan city.
Anyone from the forum has lived there? What kind of place is it?

Thanks,

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not lived there but been there on business. A very active city - lots of people doing sport outside. Rowing and cycling are both big. I'd think it could be a good move.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    And if you feel lonely there's always the Reeperbahn. So I hear.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Pep
    cougie wrote:
    Not lived there but been there on business. A very active city - lots of people doing sport outside. Rowing and cycling are both big. I'd think it could be a good move.
    Sounds good.
    Thank you.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Pep wrote:
    I am applying for a job in Hamburg.
    Slim chance to get it, the job is as good as I could ever possibly get.

I have never been in Hamburg. I hear is a very large, affluent, green, cosmopolitan city.
    Anyone from the forum has lived there? What kind of place is it?

Thanks,

I've heard it said that a spiffing rock combo called "The Quarrymen" are popular with the young set there. :)
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Vattenfall Classics - 22,000 riders and a pro race. Was on on Sunday past. Hamburgs not far from Denmark and Holland, so you're smack in the middle of cycling country.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • I used to live in northern Germany (ex-squaddie) and visited Hamburg a few times. Great town for partying/clubbing. Living in Germany is excellent and the travel and leisure facilities are also good. The Germans invest a lot in sport and travel infrastructure, getting around by bike is great. Not far away are great beaches eg on Sylt, and Denmark is easily reached, where I spent many happy weekends camping on the beach. It can get really cold in winter, and extremely hot in summer, and that's about it. Oh, and the beer is ace. If you get the chance to go, you won't regret it
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pep
    Thanks guys.

What matter is family, sport (myself, not the pros), and work.
    Clubbing, dancing, bars, big bike races, etc, I have no interest.
  • I was in Hamburg last month for a Bon Iver gig at the Stadpark, which is a cracking outdoor music venue by the way if your into gigging.
    The city is awesome, lots to do, the people are friendly. We were there start of July and their happened to be a 2 wek wine festival on, if your into wines.
    Transport network is top notch, buses, underground first class.
    Lots of great places to eat,
    You said your not into bars and clubbing but I'l reiterate it is great for that.
    They also have some crazy love parade on or around the 7th July every year, we ended up in about dressed up having a great time.
    There are lots of museums and lovely buildings for interest
    No idea about sporting facilities though, I was there on a piss up.
  • Pep
    Mongoose, thanks.
  • Can I just add I certainly never wrote wee-wee up, haha. Must have some autocorect function on this for swear words.