metabolism recovery?? post eating disorder help.

silentmajority
silentmajority Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on how long it takes for your metabolism to return to normal?

Without going in to details, i have finally seen how the last few years i have effectively been starving myself which has caused my metabolism to slow down etc.
I am getting professional help, but just wondered if anyone on here has any advice for me. Especially how fast the body and the metabolism recover?

Still feel quite embarrassed to admit all this to be honest, but guess now i have the first step has been taken.

Anyway, i would be very grateful for any advice, especially from anyone who has been through something similar.

Thanks.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    depends on genetics, age, how long it has been going on for

eating and keep at it is the best advice

you will be able to gauge it yourself in 6 months....... I guess, but it will take take time for your body to realise thats its not in a famine

patience and enjoy the calories is the only advice I can give you

have to bulk up before you can build up and so forth
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Could be months if not more but youll get there. Will probably find that you gain weight also,but assuming you cycle? the effect will generally reverse itself.

Good luck!
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Eat plenty of good food.

Try riding your bike hard for an hour a every other night. This usually gets your metabolism stoked.

Make sure you eat well afterwards though!
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I found this, simply because I never had any appetite anyway.

My mate used to say "You never have any appetite because you never do anything" which was true, but then I started biking and still don't eat much after a 25 mile ride, I just seem to eat the same.

I can't get rid of my belly fat though... I know under eating is not the answer, I think I am just storing fat here.

Oh well, you either have an appetite or you don't. I don't know why I don't but I don't. Years on end of sitting on my ars3, hardly eating, smoking 25 a day... thats why I have no appetite and it is taking a lot of biking to build it up again. For example right now I am extremely hungry (can feel the lack of energy) but I don't "want" to eat anything. In fact from trying amphetamines when I was a teenager its almost like I am perpetually on amphetamines, I am sure they did something to me way back then and its still affecting me even now. Like it re-wired my brain or something. I would rather die than take that stuff again. Remember it like it was yesterday and it was 16 years ago. Swear to god I would rather be on coke or heroin than that stuff.

Maybe its just a lack of fiber and I am getting clogged up? Try to eat stuff that expands in your stomach like porridge... I dunno if it is possible to "stretch" your stomach, but what else can you do to make it so you have more desire for food aside from doing cardio every day?

I have tried biking a lot, but I just end up too fatigued over the days, then my appetite goes worse than it already is. :x
  • thanks for all the replies.

was hoping it would only take the metabolism a couple of months at most to recover, but guess thats me being naive.

hardest thing im finding is keeping on the right diet. its so easy to skip meals!

anyway, thanks again for the replies.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It took a while for mine to get going about after 6 weeks off and putting on a stone but I have gone down 3 holes on my belt (I put it all on my belly), you just have to keep at it and don't eat crap, I do just over 100 miles a week commuting plus anything else I can squeeze in miles wise