Low maintenance commuter recommendation.

Gallois
Gallois Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I have a 10 mile commute that I try to do all year round.

Currently on a Specialized hardrock sport disc with marathon plus tyres.

I've had to do loads of maintenance and servicing and had tons of flats with the stock tyres. Want my next bike to be as low maintenance as possible. Have been thinking hub gears, v brakes, drive belt. Marathon plus is a must.

Anyone have any recommendations? I've looked at a Corratec b drive on line. Seems in the right price range and I can get MPs to fit when the stocks start going. But I don't know the brand and haven't considered any others. Would be great to hear views on this bike and any others that fit the low maintenance spec.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• marksteven
    marksteven Posts: 208
    any thing with an alfine hub , on one or genesis . iv'e got the on one pompetermine & u couldn't find a more maintenance free bike
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I have a Corratec, but it's chain drive, it's a solid bike, but there's it's downfall, it's heavy, really heavy, even in standard form without panniers, it's a lot heavier than the quoted weight, also the Nexus hub is supposedly prone to failure after a couple of wettish winters. Only bad points I can think of on mine are the the brake levers are cheap and nasty, and it has a quill stem which is prone to flex. The suspension forks aren't too hot either. :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I love my pompetamine too but the complete bikes are no longer on the On One website. :(

You can still buy all the bits though! (and there are a couple of Large 11 speeds in the clearance section.).
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    don't forget Armadillos or Gatorskins to keep the flats away.
  • Gallois
    That's a real shame about the on one completes not being available. I'm 5'7" so large frame out of the question!

Also dissapointed about the corratec. That was my favourite at the moment.

To really stick the nail in the coffin I had a flat on my rear marathon plus this morning (supposedly indestructible!) Only had them on 3 weeks:( - at least they are easy to change with a derailleur.

Please continue to reccomend if there are any more ideas.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Fixed road bike - not one of these 'fixies'. Pop on guards and panniers - ideal. Make sure you get cartridge bearing hubs - doddle to change bearings if you need to (Formula)
  • Gallois
    Thank you. Do you mean a fixed gear road bike with formula hubs? I'm not brave enough for a fixed speed, but I'd give a single speed freewheel hub a go. Not sure if my legs would cope but I'd have a try.

Any particular brands you would reccomend?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm surprised you are having so much hassle with derailer gears, must have stronger road salt where you are! That said 8 speed stuff seems to last longer than 9 speed.
  • Gallois
    Picked up a Charge Plug Grinder 2009 in the Evans clearance store for £299. Feels good so far. Single speed not as difficult as I thought but early days.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Gallois wrote:
    Picked up a Charge Plug Grinder 2009 in the Evans clearance store for £299. Feels good so far. Single speed not as difficult as I thought but early days.

Funny enough, I've decided to use my Vitus Vee-1 for work duties. Singlespeeds are great fun. :D
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd probably go for a vitus vee 1 too. Stick some grud guards on & upgrade the tyres 'if' you have a problem with flats. Alternatively a Kona Band Wagon from CRC or an On-One Pompino.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.