Tyre recommendations

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Evening everyone, I need some advice for tyres. I'm currently running maxxis minions front and back and although I love the amazing grip they are quite heavy and slow rolling. I do a fair bit of XC racing and they kill my legs on the climbs but are awesome on the technical and down hill sections.

Could everyone recommend some tyres that would be close to the minions grip level but lighter and faster rolling???

Thanks Neil

Comments

• symanoy
    symanoy Posts: 123
    If you want to stick with Maxxis, the Ardents are a pretty popular choice, or the non DH version of the High roller too.
    continental rubber queens, are another popular more aggressive tyre thats possibly worth a look.
    There's always going to be a compromise with tyres with speed and rolling resistance over grip in tricky situations.
    running a narrower faster tyre on the rear should help you out on the climbs though, while a bigger more aggressive tread up front will add confidence on the downs.
    Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
    replaced with Giant Trance MKII
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Minions probably not the #1 choice for XC :)

The 3C and 60a folders are quite a bit faster than 42a or wired Minions but they're still Minions.

High Roller II would be the next tyre in the Maxxis range. Works well on the front with something like a CrossMark on the back although still not exactly XC

Have a look at Advantage/Ardent these are trail tyres Ardent is sightly faster

For proppa XC you're looking at some sort of Aspen/Ignitor combo they are nothing like Minions
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    Cheers for the ideas chaps, true minions arnt for XC racing but dam do they stick like glue really inspire more confidence. I'll try out a few Of the tyre combos you've mentioned.

Thanks neil