Cadence

2»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Lowest I have is 39x28 and I can spin it upto about 12mph on blackheath hill which has a nasty kick towards the end but I can't do that on an off day, but I am not going to give in and fit a compact as it drove me up the wall having to swap front chain rings all the time as my cruising gears all tend to be around the change over point, a 50x36 would suit me more thhan a 50x34
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Thanks all, I'm going to give this some thought. The compact plus 12-25 cassette is actually fine for my commute. But on bigger rides and big hills it's a bit of pain not being able to spin, plus I do spin out at around 38-40mph down hill so a bigger gear might be nice too. I think this means I need n+1 for nice weekend rides and longer cycling holidays and should keep the commuter the way it is...... Plus I should loose some weight.

That being said will probably put 11-28 105 cassette on it at next service....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If my experience is anything to go by, losing 2 stone (15.5 to 13.5 stone) makes most hills do-able on a 34x25.
    I also find that getting into a tuck on a 30mph+ descent is more efficient than spinning out.
    I bottle it at 45mph anyway :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Sketchley wrote:
    Thanks all, I'm going to give this some thought. The compact plus 12-25 cassette is actually fine for my commute. But on bigger rides and big hills it's a bit of pain not being able to spin, plus I do spin out at around 38-40mph down hill so a bigger gear might be nice too. I think this means I need n+1 for nice weekend rides and longer cycling holidays and should keep the commuter the way it is...... Plus I should loose some weight.

That being said will probably put 11-28 105 cassette on it at next service....

No harm in n+1age but cassette and chain swaps dead easy.

As for commute home tonight -
    max cadence - 123 rpm
    Avg cadence - 91 rpm
    Uphill avg cadence - 91 rpm
    Downhill avg cadence - 91 rpm.

I do love symmetry! 8)
    Faster than a tent.......