Montane Featherlite - best product to re-waterproof it?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,946
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So I bought one of these puppies probably about 4 years ago, and it server me fine on my 2 mile commute to work, although in recent years it pretty much allows me to get soaked to the skin, but kept some of it off.......

I now commute 19 miles each way, and if I am going to use it, I need it to do a job, otherwise there is no point.

Is there a good way to re waterproof it, ie should I look for somehting I can put it in the wash with, or do I need to look at some kind of spray or paint that I can apply to it?

I'm pretty sure it is a pertex jacket.

Or should I just MTFU and let my skin get wet?

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I use Nikwax TX direct wash on my Paramo Fuera smock (which is a pertex type material) and that does a good job of making it showerproof. It won't cope with a persistent donwpour though (pertex isn't "waterproof" per se).
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I only use mine if I'm stopped (ie bike repair or similar). The best proofing stuff I've come across is the Granger's wash-in stuff - you do need to have access to a tumble drier. The good news though is that tumble drying it will reactivate the proofer for 5 or 6 times before it needs redoing.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Nikwax innit :)
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    As i understood it the featherlight was wind and shower proof and not meant to be waterproof. Mine isnt, it keeps the worst at bay and stops me getting too cold. Perhaps you have a different one to me.
  • My featherlight is quite waterproof, but I have found it a bit tight. Perhaps you have a different one to me?

durex_featherlite.jpg
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Daniel B wrote:
    So I bought one of these puppies probably about 4 years ago, and it server me fine on my 2 mile commute to work, although in recent years it pretty much allows me to get soaked to the skin, but kept some of it off.......

I now commute 19 miles each way, and if I am going to use it, I need it to do a job, otherwise there is no point.

Is there a good way to re waterproof it, ie should I look for somehting I can put it in the wash with, or do I need to look at some kind of spray or paint that I can apply to it?

Many thanks

Dan

The Montane Featherlite has the advantages that it is cheap, has a tiny pack size and is very light.

The disadvantage of it is that it isn't actually water proof in any real sense. With the correct long sleeved base underneath it it would resist rain for a minute or two. It isn't really windproof either.

If you want to reproof it then Nikwax tx direct spray is the way to go. But I wouldn't bother! Either don't carry a coat or carry one that actually works!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    As the other posters above have said, Pertex isn't designed to be waterproof. It is to take reduce being cold as it is for blocking wind chill.
  • Go Outdoors have all Nikwax products on at half-price at the moment.
  • daniel_b
    Ah ok, my mistake, I think I am going with the reviews at the time I bought it, and the fact it did keep me bone dry for the first few months, so it seemed as if the waterproofness, or water resistanceness wore off.

It's served me well, and I have nothing to lose, but also no tumble dryer, so I may have a look at the Nikwak as recommended on here.

Cheers guys,

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    vorsprung wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Many thanks

Dan

The Montane Featherlite has the advantages that it is cheap, has a tiny pack size and is very light.

The disadvantage of it is that it isn't actually water proof in any real sense. With the correct long sleeved base underneath it it would resist rain for a minute or two. It isn't really windproof either.

If you want to reproof it then Nikwax tx direct spray is the way to go. But I wouldn't bother! Either don't carry a coat or carry one that actually works!

I think the "Featherlite Velo H2O" is waterproof. The "featherlite Velo" isn't.

I'm surprised you say it isn't really windproof. There are vents, but for me it provides pretty good protection from the wind.

There are a couple of other advantages for the non-H2O version.
    Because it isn't waterproof it is far more breathable than waterproofs.
    It dries very quickly if you do get caught in showers, and it does cut down on windchill...
  • daniel_b
    My featherlight is quite waterproof, but I have found it a bit tight. Perhaps you have a different one to me?

durex_featherlite.jpg

I completely missed this one :lol:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    I do indeed see that Go outdoors have Nikwax products at half price, however it seems that you need a £5 card to get that price, and they want £5 for delivery, which makes it far more expensive than everywhere else!

Does anyone know if you need this 'discount card' to get the price instore?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18