Yeti SB66 Storm trooper

JONNYG4
JONNYG4 Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in Your mountain bikes
I have been looking at building a full suspension bike for the last few months. I saw the Yeti SB66 at Swinerton cycles a few months ago and fell in love but then I thought I will never spend that much on just a frame. A few months later I am a proud owner of the frame I fell in love with but I got £400 off bargain!

As I dont want to spend £6000 on a bike I am trying to stick to a budget so buying everything I see on offer. So far I have an slx groupset and a hope headset fitted to go with it.

As for the thread title I have decided this bike looks like a stormtrooper so I am going with a classic black and white theme!

I have never built a bike before so this is going to be a new experience for me! This should be a slow build as I dont have the money to buy everything in one go.

Frame.jpg

StormtrooperCorps.jpg

Comments

• The Force is strong with this one. :wink:

Sweet frame! deserves some equally good components
    SLX is good but don't hold back
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Niiiice

You could try sourcing 2nd hand. You can find XTR/XO thats been hardly used for pretty decent prices if you are prepared to look around.
  • Massive 'likes' for this, SWEET.

SLX is the groupset a storm trooper would use (i like to think), battle proven regulation issue kit :wink: Unless weight is your driving force its hard to argue against it.

What forks you thinking?

A white hub/rim combo with black spokes would look bad-ass!
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    An SB66 is a classic storm troopers bike.
  • M_rift04
    M_rift04 Posts: 504
    Someone with some skills on photoshop has got to do a storm trooper on a White/black SB66....go on!!!
  • JONNYG4
    Thanks guys
    Massive 'likes' for this, SWEET.

SLX is the groupset a storm trooper would use (i like to think), battle proven regulation issue kit :wink: Unless weight is your driving force its hard to argue against it.

What forks you thinking?

A white hub/rim combo with black spokes would look bad-ass!

Yeah slx is the groupset of a storm trooper I agree! Plus it was £220 from actionsport.de and came faster than light speed to my door. Only problem is I ordered the wrong front mech as I wasnt going for this frame originally so I need to sell it and buy the correct one before I can fit the groupset :(

As for forks I am going for RockShox Revelation RCT3 Dual Air with a 15mm Maxle Lite. Thats if the offer I have seen doesnt sell out before I get back from my holidays next month :shock:

The plan for wheels is to get them custom built from merlin cycles. Black hope pro 2 hubs with white arch ex rims and black spokes.

Handlebars and stem I would like to push the boat out with easton haven carbon bars and easton haven stem and I will be going with some white grips!
  • JONNYG4
    M_rift04 wrote:
    Someone with some skills on photoshop has got to do a storm trooper on a White/black SB66....go on!!!

I will definitely be doing this once mine is built up!
  • I tried to build my SB66 up on a set budget, I got carried away and probably went about £800 over. :lol: Oh well, I love it ! Looks nice in White.
    Trek Fuel Ex 9.8 2010
    Yeti SB66
  • jaysonski
    jaysonski Posts: 128
    i have a lime green un' u wont regret it! oh, sram X9, black & white with a flash o carbon!
  • JONNYG4
    StumpyPaul wrote:
    I tried to build my SB66 up on a set budget, I got carried away and probably went about £800 over. :lol: Oh well, I love it ! Looks nice in White.

How much was yours in the end if you dont mind me asking? I decided that I would let myself have the frame if I could buy everything on a budget so far I am very happy especially as I got £400 off the frame so I am already ahead of my budget!

I have slx on my other bike and I am very happy with it so I dont see a reason to change yeah xt and xtr is probably better but I cant justifiy the price. If my slx groupset breaks then I might gradually replace it with better parts.

I am hoping to go with xt brakes as I have found a good deal on them hopefully it will still be there when I come to buy them.
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    Mint frame and the SLX groupset will be fine.
  • emseens
    emseens Posts: 146
    If you will put new SLX, it's ok, old one was so ugly.
    slx-2013.jpg
  • M_rift04
    M_rift04 Posts: 504
    For £220 you won't get the new style, but in opinion the older style looks just as good, I especially prefer the brakes to the newer/weird shaped levers..
  • My dream frame....drooling all over my keyboard :mrgreen:
  • BigAirNig
    BigAirNig Posts: 296
    Does that take a 'direct mount' front mech ? If so, I have a barely used SLX one from a 3x9 bike I had [upgraded it to XT] .... if that's any use to you .....

Nig
    Rocky Mountain Altitude 50 (+ upgrades.....!)
  • JONNYG4
    BigAirNig wrote:
    Does that take a 'direct mount' front mech ? If so, I have a barely used SLX one from a 3x9 bike I had [upgraded it to XT] .... if that's any use to you .....

Nig

It is direct mount but I am going 3 x 10 so wont be any use to me unfortunately