R L J O K if.......

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I'm not a big, medium or small city lad but in my area there are a lot of demand lights that only change if a car approaches them, they just have the road sensors not the light top sensors.

Is it ok to jump the lights in this situation.

edit - oh bugger I think I know the answer I'll just take myself outside with this gun.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yes it is. But tell the council they don't work.

The light is classed as faulty so proceed with care once you can see it's clear. Or get onto the pavement and walk.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Sometimes you can trip these sensors with your cleats, float them over as you approach.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Look for a diamond shape embedded in the tarmac on the approach to the lights and stop over the lines for 2-3 seconds. That usually trip the lights in you favour.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Thought of that redvee but don't they just react to car type weight and wheel spacing?

Bails87 - the lights do work but just not for bikes. if a car comes along they immediatley change.

Not thought of that one Initialised will have to give it a go.

Thanks for your comments.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    plowmar wrote:
    Bails87 - the lights do work but just not for bikes. if a car comes along they immediatley change.

Yeah, so they're faulty, honestly. Imagine if you were in a car and they didn't chnage until a fully loaded HGV pulled up. They'd be faulty then so why not when a bike is waiting?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    plowmar wrote:
    Thought of that redvee but don't they just react to car type weight and wheel spacing?

No. There is a set of TLs in Bristol Centre that I thought were weight sensitive but they need something over the lines for 2-3 seconds before registering a vehicle wanting to use the lights. Another set I found out by accident how to trigger in my favour by riding over the corners of the diamonds in the road.

Look at 0:14 & 0:17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ2eszqxiRM
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • They're not weight sensitive, the diamond in the road is an inductive loop. When anything big and metal is over it, the resistance changes which is detected and then the lights are triggered.

I used to have the same problem leaving the railway station in Ipswich and using the combined cycle/bus lane. Never could get the lights to change so used to have to go through "with care" on red.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL