Average Speed - Ye Gods!

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I've just been looking at the results for the 100 mile Blenheim Sportive that took place yesterday, and I'm stunned to see that several riders completed the course in just over three hours. Is that possible? Are they superhuman? :?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Very unlikely I think!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    There was also a 100k wasn't there?? Has there been a mix-up or perhaps some folks signing up for the 100m and then deciding to do the 100k at the split point?
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    That will be a mix up. When I did it lots if people who planned to do the 100 miles switched to the 60 at the split. No way to tell this from just a timing chip
  • Peddle Up!
    simona75 wrote:
    That will be a mix up. When I did it lots if people who planned to do the 100 miles switched to the 60 at the split. No way to tell this from just a timing chip

That sounds more reasonable. Probably put off by the sight of Swell Hill after the first food stop (it wasn't that bad). :)
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Had a massive discussion about this on the Kilotogo FaceBook page earlier this year. One answer would be an intermediate timing point at the furthest point away from the start/finish on the long route, maybe at a feed stop. If you don't pass that point, you don't get a time recorded, or it's recorded as provisional.

But even that doesn't stop people cutting corners and taking short cuts, whether by accident or on purpose.

At the end of the day, it isn't a race.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    People who registered for the long route, did the short route.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    fastest 100 mile rides of all time =

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37182

so unless the names tally the results are bull***t
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Peddle Up!
    sub55 wrote:
    fastest 100 mile rides of all time =

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37182

so unless the names tally the results are bull***t

Good one!
  • Peddle Up!
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Had a massive discussion about this on the Kilotogo FaceBook page earlier this year. One answer would be an intermediate timing point at the furthest point away from the start/finish on the long route, maybe at a feed stop. If you don't pass that point, you don't get a time recorded, or it's recorded as provisional.

But even that doesn't stop people cutting corners and taking short cuts, whether by accident or on purpose.

Just timing at the start and finish, so all those cake stop chats go on the total time. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :D
  • wineboar
    wineboar Posts: 11
    The fastest time on Strava for the 100 mile route is 5:12:42 which is a bit more reasonable, although a still very impressive average of 19.3mph.

Rather puts my 6:31:08 to shame. I blame the cake stops too...
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I also saw that when looking through the results, and i reckon the first 70ish riders were signed up for the 100 and ended up doing the 60. Just over 5 hours would be about right for 100 miles.

There was a real fast group pushing round the 60 miles that overtook me and the best time was just over the 3hrs.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Gizmodo wrote:

What what whaaaat !!!
    :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Sounds like cheapskate organisers to me,... best practise is to place a timing mat after the split for the long/short route. Ok it;'s not a race, but if they are asking people to stump up the cash to enter, then at least they could get their side right and work out which route riders were on.