Rock Shox Recon vs Sektor? Help!

roliusprime
roliusprime Posts: 30
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new fork and I've got at the absolute max £250 to spare. I don't mind going sale or 2nd hand though...

Anyway I've been looking at Rock shox recons and Secktors as they both fall within this range and I've had a great experience with a set of 2010 Toras...

However I'm having trouble spotting the difference! The Recon Gold RL and the Sector RL seem essentially the same... well to my untrained eye anyway...

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/s ... /term-id/7

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/r ... /term-id/7

and if anyone has some really good advice or suggestions for other forks that are

a) better than 2010 Tora 302s and b) less than £250 I'd be very interested to hear!!

The Tora's have been great but are quite heavy and despite tweaking don't do a lot for small hits and bumps. For large impacts they're pretty amazing. I'll recycle them onto my GFs bike or my bros when I buy the replacements.

Thanks in advance

R

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What bike?
    Very different fork - read the specs.
    Just the travel
    Sektor 130/140/150mm,
    Recon 80/100/120mm

For replacing a Tora, try Reba otherwise Recons.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ahh ok - sorry didn't spot that the sektor went up to 150 - eyes are glazed over from too much computer screen...
    so is it purely a travel thing in terms of diffference?

Bike would be a cannodale SL3 - hardtail. Use is mostly cross country up and down hill in the Downs. However I do like to jump stuff and fall off the odd drop too. The Tora has been pretty good for that.

The cannondale actually came with an RST deuce fork but its worse than useless... the Tora is from my old bike.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Look at a Reba for an upgrade
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Reba if you can afford it, Recon if you can't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools