Waterproof trousers

Cool4catz
Cool4catz Posts: 76
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Hiya, I've noticed it being a little wet this year and as the autumn months approach I though I'd better invest in some awesome waterproof trousers - if there are any.
I'm looking for a pair of trousers that you can wear comfortably on a cold day, preferably with some padding and capable of dealing with a reasonable unexpected shower. Also don't want to sweat away a couple of pounds. Any recommendations or suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Pointless in my opinion

Your skin is waterproof - it's not wet you have to worry about, it's being cold. I cycle all year round and have yet to use a pair of waterproof trousers. When it gets cold I put on some tights and dry 'em out when I get to work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • b00g13
    b00g13 Posts: 14
    Just being curious, if I want to commute during winter, how do I keep warm? Trousers might dry up while I'm in work, but shoes will not.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Waterproof trousers are useful when it gets very cold and damp. I use Montane DT Atomic and find them good enough and much cheaper than Gortex or Event. Featherweight Pertex versions are not waterproof.
    You can get winter-style leggings and bib tights which shed water. These are better than waterproof overpants for longer, higher intensity rides.
    If you need padding, use bike shorts or bike underwear. If you put your padding in the longs, you have to wash them after every ride.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I'm with KB. Waterproof trousers will be flappy and annoying, bulky to carry and will make you sweat.

Just wear thick roubaix longs when it's cold. Lycra stays pretty warm and conmfortable when wet anyway.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    b00g13 wrote:
    Just being curious, if I want to commute during winter, how do I keep warm? Trousers might dry up while I'm in work, but shoes will not.

Winter shoes - I use MW80s

Tights are fine. I was out when it dipped to -7 without a problem. I have various weights of them and the full thermals only come out when it's seriously cold!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter