ajmanby
ajmanby Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Looking at getting into road riding, currently have a single speed to get to and from work (3 miles each way) and a mountain bike for going over the park. I have been looking at the Cannondale Supersix 105 on Westbrook cycles recently and really tempted but it is a lot of money... even if it is a lot of bike. Is it worth buying such a bike and look to upgrade parts in the future or buy a cheap bike for now with the view of buying a nicer bike in the future?

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    The Super Six is a great bike,you already enjoy your cycling so if the funds allow then go for it.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • iampaulb
    iampaulb Posts: 159
    i test rode a supersix the other day, i test rode a Giant TCR Compiste 2 / SuperSix / Trek Madone 3.1

the super six was amazing, felt so nice. However it was a lot of money. So i went for the Giant! But yes if you can afford it...go for the supersix
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd look on ebay. You'd be amazed what you can get for 1500 quid on there. High end bikes depreciate pretty quickly.

The Supersix looks great, especially in the green and white team colours. But even at 2k it has some pretty heavy wheels for the money. I paid 3k for Specialized Roubaix and even that had fairly cheap wheels until I put my own on. That's what they skimp on. With a used bike you sometimes get lucky and find one with upgraded bits.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!