Which GT?

Lawrie0523
Lawrie0523 Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm weighing up between two GT's at the moment, can anyone shed any light?

Avalnche 4
http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m1b0s196p ... che_4_2012

Or aggressor 1
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gt/ ... CFsQgwgwAA

Cheers!

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Shed any light on what?

What do you intend to ride?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Sorry, mostly road and gravel path riding with the odd day mucking about in Epping forest on narrower rockier tracks.

No serious downhill or anything.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There are better out there for the dough.
  • Ok well I'm open to better suggestions too if people have some?
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Lawrie0523 wrote:
    Ok well I'm open to better suggestions too if people have some?
    whats your max budget ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Lawrie0523 wrote:
    Sorry, mostly road and gravel path riding with the odd day mucking about in Epping forest on narrower rockier tracks.

Do you actually need a mountain bike?
  • They seem virtually the same to me. Aggressor has less fork travel, but seeing as you wont be needing it due to the type of riding, it matters not.

Seeing as they are similar i would go for the one you like the look of or the cheapest :)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Lawrie0523 wrote:
    Sorry, mostly road and gravel path riding with the odd day mucking about in Epping forest on narrower rockier tracks.

Do you actually need a mountain bike?

Of course for the narrow rocky tracks of epping forest!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I don't know epping forest, so I don;t know if you're joking or not.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I hope so.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Avalanche 4 is the better bike courtesy of the fork and will be well suited for the usage described.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    supersonic wrote:
    The Avalanche 4 is the better bike courtesy of the fork and will be well suited for the usage described.

A sensible and correct answer - the avalanche is definitely better suited to that use - the Agressor is for more gnarly trails.

And Yee - I was joking eppings rocky trails would be akin to a canal path for those of a more north welsh persuasion.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Thanks for the more productive answers.

I accept that Epping forest isn't exactly hardcore I used to do proper mountain biking when I lived in Scotland but now Epping Forest is what's on my doorstep so that's where I go, it might not be white knuckle stuff but it's uneven and the ground is often very loose or muddy which I think all justifys a mountain bike.

Max budget is about £350 but I'm paying for a wedding at the moment so the further under the budget I can be the better, I'd like to set a lower budget but I also don't want to end up with a crap bike.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Id seriously consider a rigid hybrid for that use, and that price. Stick some more knobbly tyres on it if the ground is slippery.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd consider whether you might scale up the "mountain" biking. You've got Epping on the doorstep which may not be much, but you might then want more. Hop south of the river and you've got Surrey Hills, Swinley and others and you can do justice to a decent bike then. M25->M4 in a few hours you've got yourself a day trip or weekend to actual mountains in Wales.

Maybe buy something dirt cheap for towpath/forestpath/road kind of riding and see if you scale it up then start spending money.