Just abit of advice / direction really...

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
So done my first big road ride yesterday. :)
Could any of you give me some hints / tips on improving, and whether the average speed was good, or the cadence was at the right speed? All new too this you see and i just see numbers

http://app.strava.com/rides/19029549 < thats my ride data.

i got an edge 500 with HR and cadence

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    What's your age, weight, and general level of fitness? HR strikes me as on the high side...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good stuff!
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Yep, looks good.

Don't worry about numbers too much, just ride.

Ignore the heart rate comment, everyone's different.
  • iampaulb
    27, 72kg - i have spent many days in the gym, however i havent been properly for months well since feb. Working in london takes it out of ya.

I ride DH (only had a roadie a few days) so id like to say im average fitness.

LOL think i know why the HR was pretty high, those bloody climbs.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    As Pete said, you're fine.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • iampaulb
    Cheers guys, apart from the climbs i felt good.
    just need to get better at the climbs, and they were only a Cat4!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Maybe aim for a slightly higher average cadence of nearer 90.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • iampaulb
    Ringo 68 wrote:

ah ok, thats a good pointer. Didnt know what was a good average. But i guess it all depends on the gear your in surely?

my average speed on that ride was 14.9mph im going to try and get up to around 20 as soon as i can. gives me something to aim for
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    iampaulb wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

ah ok, thats a good pointer. Didnt know what was a good average. But i guess it all depends on the gear your in surely?

my average speed on that ride was 14.9mph im going to try and get up to around 20 as soon as i can. gives me something to aim for

It's gonna take a long time to average 20 on that route.

Maybe set a target that you can achieve sooner. Try and move up the leader board on those strava segments, the Pride of the Valley - Hindhead segment looks like a good one to target.

Yes cadence is a little low, are you using clipless pedals?
  • Ringo 68
    edited August 2012
    I always think you are better in a lower gear at a higher cadence rather than grinding a bigger gear.
    It certainly is easier on the legs this way and I always try and find a gear that I can comfortably spin at 90+.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • iampaulb
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    I always think you are better in a lower gear at a higher cadence than grinding a bigger gear.
    It certainly is easier on the legs this way and I always try and find a gear that I can comfortably spin at 90+.

ah ok cool. good tip. ill try it out! thanks
  • Ringo 68
    iampaulb wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    I always think you are better in a lower gear at a higher cadence than grinding a bigger gear.
    It certainly is easier on the legs this way and I always try and find a gear that Ip can comfortably spin at 90+.

ah ok cool. good tip. ill try it out! thanks

Your legs will thank you for it, though your heart and lungs might not be too happy until you get used to it.
    If you can, watch the pros and see how high their cadence is.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    As a side issue, given the OP has a Garmin to record cadence, the average will depend on the "Include Zeros" setting on your Garmin.

On my Garmin 800 with 2.4 firmware, the setting is under the spanner, System, Data Recording, Data Averaging, Cadence "Do Not Include Zeros".

The Garmin web site says:

For example: For a 60 second time period you coast for 30 seconds and pedal at 100 rpm for the other 30 seconds.
    - With 0 averaging ON your average cadence would be 50.
    - With 0 averaging OFF your average cadence would be 100.

With zero averaging off I can now manage an average of 83 and I'm trying to get it up to 85 to 90.
  • iampaulb
    Gizmodo wrote:
    As a side issue, given the OP has a Garmin to record cadence, the average will depend on the "Include Zeros" setting on your Garmin.

On my Garmin 800 with 2.4 firmware, the setting is under the spanner, System, Data Recording, Data Averaging, Cadence "Do Not Include Zeros".

For example: For a 60 second time period you coast for 30 seconds and pedal at 100 rpm for the other 30 seconds.

With zero averaging off I can now manage an average of 83 and I'm trying to get it up to 85 to 90.

so would you say its best to turn it off?
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    iampaulb wrote:
    Gizmodo wrote:

so would you say its best to turn it off?
    I'm not sure. Personally it seems wrong to include coasting downhill in your average cadence, so I have left mine as off.

Hopefully some people who have been training with Garmin devices for years will come along with some good advice on average cadence.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    iampaulb wrote:
    Cheers guys, apart from the climbs i felt good.
    just need to get better at the climbs, and they were only a Cat4!

Ah - recognise your own weakness then ...

yup - climbs need work on ... and recovery afterwards - just takes practice ... :)