More cycling on tv...?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Plans to launch an interesting sounding new TV channel:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/au ... -to-launch
Guardian wrote:
A new TV channel is launching in the wake of the London 2012 Olympics, providing coverage of sports featured at the Games including judo, gymnastics and fencing.

London Legacy will launch as a 24-hour-a-day channel in November, showing 24 Olympic sports, including athletics, cycling and wrestling.

The channel will initially only be available to BSkyB's satellite TV customers, but is seeking wider distribution.

Be interesting to see what cycling they do show, and whether it's just another place to see races that are already shown on Eurosport, or if they'll attempt to show races that aren't covered elsewhere...

Comments

• MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Ah yes I wondered what they would do about the 24 channel thing. I believe it was a BBC type thing, where they had 24 channels showing everything during the olympics. We got it because we have sky, and we didnt pay anything extra, so if they can get it on freeview that would be a massive thing for everyone. Sport on free to air tv should be a lot better I think.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is there really a demand from people to watch sports like fencing and wrestling outside the Olympics?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    One could argue that a lot of Olympic sports (both summer and winter) are already covered on Eurosport.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Haha, it's the same every time, isn't it? Massive amount of people watching all kind of sports during the olympics and suddenly a lot of people think there's a market for archery and Judo - until 2 months after the games and they realise that people's interest is pretty much nonexisting again.

Every.Single.Time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ThomThom wrote:
    Haha, it's the same every time, isn't it? Massive amount of people watching all kind of sports during the olympics and suddenly a lot of people think there's a market for archery and Judo - until 2 months after the games and they realise that people's interest is pretty much nonexisting again.

Every.Single.Time.

I'd watch most Olympics sports over what they show on an average weekday night on TV.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I wouldn't.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,574
    That's what I used to like about satellite TV when it first arrived - the ability to watch obscure sports. Sadly, Sky just shows mainstream sports for a higher price now. Eurosport does some of this, but until I can follow an entire season of table tennis, squash, fencing, wrestling etc. I will think there is scope to show more (given the almost infinite number of channels).
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    ThomThom wrote:

Every.Single.Time.

I'd watch most Olympics sports over what they show on an average weekday night on TV.

So would I, but most of the time I don't get to choose what we watch. I'm sure the situation is similar in most households.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    ThomThom wrote:

Every.Single.Time.

So would I, but most of the time I don't get to choose what we watch. I'm sure the situation is similar in most households.

Weak.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    It's about time they started showing kabaddi again!
  • inkyfingers
    ThomThom wrote:

Every.Single.Time.

Weak.

Good relationships are worth making sacrifices for. Basically, she's a great cook and has big tits.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • The channel will initially only be available to BSkyB's satellite TV customers, but is seeking wider distribution.
    So you have to buy it as part of a bigger sports package that probably also includes loads of footie and motor racing? If so, no thanks.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    David Harmon said today during commentary of that exciting stage finish that Eurosport will be increasing their cycling coverage next year.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Paulie W wrote:
    It's about time they started showing kabaddi again!

Brilliant! used to love that on Channel 4 about 20 years ago or whenever it was.
  • zammmmo
    zammmmo Posts: 315
    more women's beach volleyball? yep, thought so.
  • rick_chasey
    Ms Tree wrote:
    David Harmon said today during commentary of that exciting stage finish that Eurosport will be increasing their cycling coverage next year.

Het Volk, Dwars Door Vlaanderen and Harelbeke?!?!?
  • inkyfingers
    Ms Tree wrote:

Het Volk, Dwars Door Vlaanderen and Harelbeke?!?!?

We can dream Rick, we can dream.
  • Tour of Beijing, Tour of Shanghai, Tour of China more like