I need your tyre anecdotes.

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hivemind,

The tyres on my Dolan are about to buy the farm. Bontrager Race X Lite AC in 23mm (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/race-x-lite-ac-700-x-23-tyre-ec017758).

I am happy to replace like for like, assuming I can lay my hands on a pair at a decent price. However; I am also willing to be steered - by you good folk - in the direction of a worthy equivalent. It's worth noting, I don't require a 'super' tyre as I don't race and they'll be fitted to a set of Khamsins!

Cheers.

Ben
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    GP4000s FTW.

One pair I had lasted something like 12,000km or something - through studying in Sheffield and riding in the peaks to the Fens and a week long ride through the Pyrenees - not a single puncture. On my old bike now. Totally square now, and some of the casing is peeling off, but I've still yet to have a puncture.

Roll quite fast, very grippy, and the best tyre I've ridden in the wet.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    GP4000s FTW.

+1

Best tyre Iv'e used.

Close thread.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I really like Gatorskins, I use them till they wear out. That usually means I replace rear tyres about every 4 months. Front tyres last longer.
  • pitchshifter
    notsoblue wrote:
    I really like Gatorskins, I use them till they wear out. That usually means I replace rear tyres about every 4 months. Front tyres last longer.

Don't you find they cut up really easily? Oh and how slippery they are when it gets even slightly damp...
  • Replace them every 4 months? I get about 5,000 miles out of a Rubino Pro on the rear. Not tried GP4000s, but then every time I try something other than a Rubino Pro, I regret it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ribble have the GP4000s for £27 a pop. Hmmm...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pitchshifter
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ribble have the GP4000s for £27 a pop. Hmmm...

102281d1330235569-ps-black-gt-boss-grabber-blue-thoughts-starsky_and_hutch-_do_it.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    24387718.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I like myy GP4seasons, they've done a good job of keeping the air where it's meant to be. Had Gatorskins before that which were reliable too, but they were very slippy when it was wet, I even got wheelspin pulling away from lights on a bit of a hill!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    If you're buying more than one, how about bike discount.de?

If anyone can offer an opinion/anecdote on a good 700x35mm slick, then I'm looking to change my Schwalbe Kojaks.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Don't you find they cut up really easily? Oh and how slippery they are when it gets even slightly damp...

To be honest the only tyres I can compare them to are Armadillos and Blizzards. The tyre is full of tiny lacerations, but I figured this was normal for daily London commute.
    Replace them every 4 months? I get about 5,000 miles out of a Rubino Pro on the rear. Not tried GP4000s, but then every time I try something other than a Rubino Pro, I regret it.

Yep, thats about 2,000 miles. Sounds like thats low mileage! I should try a different tyre... I replace them when they're flattened off, I don't wear them down entirely.

Sounds like I need to try a new tyre! :)
  • You should start a thread!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    GP4000s. Done.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    This thread has just cost me £50. Bought two GP4000s from bike-discount.de :roll:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    GP4000s FTW.

+1

Best tyre Iv'e used.

Close thread.

+1 from me toon on GP4000's - train, fun, racing these tyres do pretty much everything except check their own pressures and pump themselves up where needed.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I think you spelled it wrong.

This forum is where you come for "tired anecdotes"...
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    For commuting I've tended to use gatorskins and rubinos - preferred the gators - sidewalls on the rubinos seemed a bit thin and I had a couple of punctures that way but high unstatistically significant.

I'm, now using durano plus (not the standard duranos) and I really like them. I never fund that gators were slippery in the wet but I did find that they cut up a bit (and tended to hold those slivers of flint we get round our way). The durano plus seem significantly tougher and that big blue layer of puncture protection gives me a warm feeling. Also like the reflective stripe.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Replace them every 4 months? I get about 5,000 miles out of a Rubino Pro on the rear. Not tried GP4000s, but then every time I try something other than a Rubino Pro, I regret it.
    Rubino Pro, or Rubino Pro Slick ?
    I was looking at Rubino Pros, but then I realised that they are slick in the middle, with little knobs of tread on the sides. So perhaps not meant for hard cornering.
    Do Rubino Pros go round corners OK ? Compared to a true slick ?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    PBo wrote:
    I think you spelled it wrong.

This forum is where you come for "tired anecdotes"...

Haven't we been ROUND this one before?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Pro Race 4 !
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Cheap tyres for commuting - Schwalbe Blizzards or Vittoria Zaffiro (or however you spell that) on the good bike I use Michelin Pro4s (the new version of Krylions)...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Get some 32 Marathon Supremes
    Checked my GPS stats for before and after tyre swap

35mm Marathons - Ave speed - 19kph Max speed - 35kph

32 Marathon Supreme - Ave speed - 25kph Max speed 42kph

Anything that can render a 24% improvement in speed must be fantastic :roll:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Always come back to Conti GP4000Seasons. Excellent all year, roll well, good grip, pulled loads of flints and glass from them without a puncture.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • jejv wrote:
    Rubino Pro, or Rubino Pro Slick ?
    I was looking at Rubino Pros, but then I realised that they are slick in the middle, with little knobs of tread on the sides. So perhaps not meant for hard cornering.
    Do Rubino Pros go round corners OK ? Compared to a true slick ?

I usually use the regular Pro's, but I have a Pro Slick waiting for the next time I change one. I don't think I corner softly and I've never had much cause to worry about them - except during a diesel spill, but even then I stayed upright somehow. I use them year round (except the worst days in winter, when I have Marathon Winters) and love them. Everything else always feels sluggish in comparison.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,677
    DrLex wrote:

If anyone can offer an opinion/anecdote on a good 700x35mm slick, then I'm looking to change my Schwalbe Kojaks.
    I'm using the Continental Sport Contact, which is almost a slick. Put a set on MTB wheels, although they do 700 size too in various widths. Excellent speed. Would highly recommend.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    Well, I can add that I've been using Gatorskins for a couple of months now & am starting to get quite a few punctures (3 in the last week). Actually its more than that, but the others have been due to my not checking the tire correctly after the 1st time... & a twist in the tube on another occasion, both my bad. Pretty frustrated tbh, but am going to persist for a bit & hope its just (very) bad luck.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Rubino Pro's are fantastic - as good as the GP4000S but cheaper. They come in different colours too.

The Rubino Pro Slick are good too but I wouldn't use them in the winter.

GP4000s are great too but IMO not worth paying £8 extra over a Rubino Pro although I have only used mine for about 1000 miles so I haven't really compared them for durability.

Marathon Plus are brilliant if you don't want to have punctures - EVER.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    "Continental make the best bicycle tyres in the World."

GP4000s
    4 Season
    GatorSkin.

Take your pick. Believe the hype.

Edit: Or better yet put it this way: With the inclusion of Attack/Force, in five years I have only ever used the above Continental tyres. When have I ever complained, ranted, trolled or made a negative post about my tyres?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Top Contacts for me - the only things that have gone through would be enough to puncture a car tyre... little interesting cornering at speed on them as the slight tread does make some WEIRD noises...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DrLex wrote:

I'm using the Continental Sport Contact, which is almost a slick. Put a set on MTB wheels, although they do 700 size too in various widths. Excellent speed. Would highly recommend.

Much obliged to you, chap; at just over £13 ea. at Bike-Discount, they've got to be worth a trial. With a brace of GP4000s, it'll be a desirable German Gümmi package that I don't mind the memsahib spotting in the post box...