Tyres for fast rocky Dark Peak trails

R8JimBob88
R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Morning all,

So i've been running Nobbly Nics for almost 12 months. Never had a puncture until recently. I've found that I'm riding a lot faster in the last few months than previously as my confidence grows. The downside to this is I have at least 1 pinch flat per ride. Now i'm not a big guy and run at least 40psi but this is really taking the pi*s.

I'm aware that the sidewalls in the Nics are like paper but so far I havent had any tears *touch wood* and come to think of i, I have only ever had pinch flats, no thorns, nothing else just pinch flats. They are all in a different place on the tube each time.

So I have been thinking of going tubeless but think I will try some new tyres first.

There are just too many out there to choose from so would like to hear of any recomended tyres.

As mentioned above, they need to be able to take a proper beating on the hard, fast, rocky stuff in the dark peak area. But would also like them to be tubeless ready should I will to try that route later down the line. Not really bothered about light weight stuff.

Appologies as i'm sure that this has been discussed 1,000 times already.

Thanking you!
If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'd recommend either schwalbe hans dampf or bontrager XR 4 (the new ones in 2.35). Both are great tyres with alot of air volume and tough sidewalls to give you support. Both will weigh a bit more than the nics, but that's the trade off I'm afraid.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I was riding there yesterday I have a Hans Dampf up front & an Ardent on the back, I was using Nicks before too, didn't really have too many problems but I always run tubeless, no pinch problems unless you properly clout the rim and split your tyre.

The Dampf/ardent combo seems better, fairly robust with good grip, the Dampf in particular is very grippy and comes up quite big, good for steaming through stuff...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • maxxis minions
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    have you had a look at changing your tubes to something a little thicker?

normally i would say have a play around with tyre pressure, but 40 psi seems awafuly high. Having said that, I know when i ran NN's (at lower pressures than that) i found them a little sketchy in dark peak if the rock was midly damp (which is 99% of the riding year up this neck of the woods).

my mate swears by the minions, and i've always found their grip brilliant, just that they come up a little thin and prefer a bit more beef on the front to charge through things. Also only being abale to get the super tacky in wire bead was frustrating (bugger to get on and off and added some fair weiht for a tyre so small).

Currently running the conti rubber queens black chilli compound at the moment and thety work very well all round. 2.4 on the front (not the lightest, but big) and 2.2 on the back. The 2.4 has re-enforced side walls so find i can run the pressures down to c 20psi with no problems at all. i find they are pretty psi sensative though (more so than any other tyre i've used) and you have to run them a lot softer than normal other wise they have a tendancy to wash out on the smaller pebbley stuff
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    Thanks all.

Like the sound of the Hans Damph/Ardent combo.

My mate has recomended the Rubber Queens 2.2. What is the diffrence between these two? Only £1 in it?!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29790
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29789
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    R8JimBob88 wrote:
    Thanks all.

Like the sound of the Hans Damph/Ardent combo.

My mate has recomended the Rubber Queens 2.2. What is the diffrence between these two? Only £1 in it?!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29790
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29789
    One is UST, one isn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Hans dampf/ardent combo might be good, but two Hans Damopfs together are much better value. Bike-discount has the pace/trailstar pair for around £55.. Which is a steal.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.