Cleat Alignment

iampaulb
iampaulb Posts: 159
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Is there any videos or anything on how to properly alignment? Feeling pretty tender this morning after my 60mile ride yesterday. I am using MTB cleats, as i have a DH bike too (eventually will be getting some proper road shoes)

My right leg feels fine, but my left leg is very sore. Behind the knee on the outside of the leg? I know shops can do a proper alignment, but surely it cant be that hard to do yourself? its only two screws? ?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Well, you could clip in one foot, take your foot out of the shoe and loosen the cleat screws so you can line the shoe up with the frame and see how that goes.

But that isn't doing it properly. I had a Look cleat fit using their clever digital system and it took a couple of hours to get the optimum fit. Admittedly the bike shop was using me as a training session so it probably took longer than normal but it wouldn't be a five minute job no matter how good you were at it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Keep fiddling and put in some shorter rides before doing a 60 miler ?

Compare it to the shoe thats fine ? Does it look similar ?

Most pedals these days have enough float so that fit doesnt have to be quite as precise as it used to be ?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I heard he dressed to the left :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I had the same question. I saw this online? Anyone ever used this tool?

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/ergon-peda ... pd-sl.html
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    You can't leave the bolts loose on the MTB cleats won't work no space in pedal to tighten up before releasing.

Loads off stuff for setting cleats on Steve Hoggs block worth a look.

Way I set mine up and seemed to work was-

Sit on table legs hanging
    Piece of card square with the table under both feet
    Get mrs to draw round feet on card
    Then stand in card so you can see where ball of foot sits, this is approx position for front to rear position
    Then cut hole out in centre of foot in line with ball foot mark
    Now align cleat on show so shoe follows foot outline but cleat follows a straight line over the card front to back, note this is from card being square to table don't just follow centre line of foot
    Do the same for each foot don't just copy across as both feet are often different
    Go ride see, see how it feels, mark the cleat position and make small adjustments from there

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it but it got me in a good starting position with just minor front to rear changes.

Good luck :)
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!