Help with frustration while injured

itguy2
itguy2 Posts: 88
edited August 2012 in Health, fitness & training
Hi everyone

Two weeks ago today I felt a twinge on a normal treadmill running session at the gym. It didn't feel right so I went to the osteopath and he realigned me, saying that my lower spine had rotated slightly, moving my right hand rib cage forward a bit.

I'm now a week on after the realignment and have been doing all the excerises religiously but I still feel rubbish.

My right hand side of my back is aching and I'm sure it just needs rest and recovery time. I went for a check over on Friday and the osteo says I'm all still in line (ie bones fine) so its just muscles and soft tissue now.

I'm so frustrated as we're on holiday this week and next, I bought a new zesty 514 two weeks ago too and just can't / don't want to ride it as it hurts, and I want to get healthy again the quickest! Plus it hurts in my chest when I take deep breaths, which is a problem in Cornwall with these hills!

I also comfort eat when I'm stressed or depressed!!

Any tips on staying motivated for the future when injured!?!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
Orange Crush 2010

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bones heal pretty quickly but soft tissue takes months and months to mend properly
    We've all been there but the only consolation is that you will get better.

Worst thing you can do is push through it and go riding when you feel 90% OK. Wait until its properly mended and then some.

In the meantime walking & swimming are pretty good. As for the comfort eating try drinking a glass of water instead.

GWS
  • itguy2
    itguy2 Posts: 88
    Cheers, just one of those things I suppose.

I'm really annoyed as Ive been doing a really decent amount of training since xmas and this feels like such a step back.

Swimming it is!

Lapierre Zesty 514 &
    Orange Crush 2010
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You may know that massage is a good way to reduce the scar tissue from muscle injuries. Personally I would steer well clear of chiropractors and find a good local physio if you ask around the local bike shops or clubs they will usually recommend the same one

Martin Early is a good bloke if you're in the Midlands area

Edit: might also want to try some yoga. Great results for very little physical effort. Great way of releasing tension you didn't know you had.
  • tudj
    tudj Posts: 254
    I picked up an injury around xmas which stopped me from doing any form of exercise/sport, I had to give up hockey and football and stopped going to the gym, I went from being active 5 days a week to being able to do nothing at all, this lasted until about a month ago when I was in the position where I was able to start riding a bike (it's thanks to my injury I found mbking).

I know exactly how frustrated you feel and I must stress that it's important not to try and force yourself to get back into it before your body is ready, I did and I regretted it massively, it just set me back even further.

I'd recommend trying to find something else to concentrate on if you can, for me it has been cycling. Being able to focus on and enjoy something else will help take your mind off the frustration of not being able to get out and ride. Swimming is mentioned above, use it to increase your general fitness, set yourself small targets (if it takes 10 mins to do 20 lengths then aim for 9m 30s and then 9m etc).

Remember when you do get back into riding that you shouldn't just take off from where you left, you'll need to rebuild strength.