How long should a Garmin last on a full charge?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited August 2012 in Road general
I've got the Edge 705 and it packed in after about 16-17 hours after an overnight mains recharging.

Its 2nd hand so I'm wondering if the battery is on its way out or if it is about par for the course?

Comments

• dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Nominal battery life - 15hrs.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You can replace the battery on a 705. Only tool needed is a TX5 screwdriver.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rodgers73
    Sounds like mine is running as it should though?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... e#specsTab

Battery: rechargeable li-polymer
    Battery life: 15 hours, typical
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    It does massively depend on how you've got the screen brightness set up though. 15 hours on my edge800 is definitely possible but only with the backlight switched off. With it on in the brightest setting it's more like 6-7 hours max.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    You`ve doen well with 16-17 hours :). You can purchase a backup battery set that is generic for various mobile devices
  • rodgers73
    I did wonder about buying a more basic one if it meant that the battery life was better, but I think I'll just put my cheapo bike computer on the bars next to it. I was mainly fed up due to losing my total mileage on the ride rather than getting lost or anything.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    When I use my Edge 800 on really long rides, I use one of these to charge on the go.

http://www.suntekstore.co.uk/product-14 ... rger_.html

It uses a couple of 18650 cells which you can find on the web or in old laptop batteries. My edge 800 struggles to go more than 10 hours, if I'm using it to navigate and record data.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    I know it's too late now but I always check my 705 at the end of each ride to check the battery level and recharge if necessary.

If it does go then I still have the mileage etc. recorded to that time and I use a generic mapping service to get the missed miles and add those to the edge totals. That won't of course give speeds, averages etc but at least keeps the oddometer up to date.

However as others have said 16/17 hours is good so don't worry too much about that. Happy cycling!!
  • dw300
    OP, why are you not plugging it in to download your data and charging it while you do that?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • rodgers73
    It ran out while doing a 24hr ride. Bit of a one off in terms of the ride, but I wasn't in a position to stop and charge it as I was still going when it packed in.
  • plowmar
    dw300 will it do that mine wouldn't when I tried it.
  • dw300
    plowmar wrote:
    dw300 will it do that mine wouldn't when I tried it.

Has it never done that, or have you just never tried? Have you tried using a difference cable to check you havent got a dodgy one?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • plowmar
    using same cable as for charging MP3.

should it be switched on or off?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    it can run on "external power" ... so no need to switch off - but if you're stationery then it'll charge faster if you turn off ...