New Bike

dynamiccoins
dynamiccoins Posts: 65
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

After knackereing my knee at the beginning of this year I have managed to pile on the weight and am unfit so need to sort something out.

I'm looking for new bike for under £500 and have sat on the usual suspects - been to Decathlon but they didnt have the 8.1 in my size but I tried the 8 - if anyone is interested they had last years 8.1 in medium with £50 off as the new ones are in this week - Surrey quays.

I've also been to halfords and tried the Voodoo Hoodoo and liked that as much as you can riding 5 yards in the shop.

I am looking at riding trails and currently have a hybird. As I said I am unfit and I was on Epsom common this weekend bouncing around (knackered - I look forward to the stamina improving) and certainly to start with that will be the place I will be riding. As a guide for those who know it, I've also been to Esher common and ridden round there as well - I live near Epsom so have the local area to discover.

Now I am no expert but one thing I have been doing is keeping an eye on Ebay and tonight saw this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Rock-Hopper-Mountain-Bike-/320966523754?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4abb187b6a#ht_481wt_1417.

Its only down the road from me so I could ask to go and see it but as I'm not an expert I will only be able to see if it feels right and check if there is any obvious problem.

So I thought I'd ask to see what people thought of it - as much as you can from the pictures. I've emailed and asked if they can provide any more details.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Impossible to tell anything from rubbish pics, and no spec mentioned, not even the size.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad.

I've asked so I'll update this is anything comes through.
  • Hi,

what about this one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-XTC4-Mountain-Bike-/130747444440?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e7127acd8.

I've emailed them and asked for the frame size and year purchased.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TBH it's a bit pointless posting random Ebay ads, but I wouldn't touch that with a bargepole, simply because the gear cables are frayed at the ends - shows a distinct lack of care and maintenence.

Unless you know what you are looking at, get a new one, with a warranty.

Second hand is great and most things are cheap to sort out. If you know what you are doing.
    A fork service will cost about £100, if they are fubared a new set will blow your budget.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • OK understood - thanks for looking
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    that spesh is about 7 yrs old, never worth that, your better off staying with the RR8.1 if you can get one, or the voodoo, at least if things go wrong, you'll have shop support
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Thanks - I'm going to get down to Decathlon this week and try out the 8.1