Cramp in my quads

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All

I did a 64 mile ride on Saturday and for the last 10-12 miles suffered badly with cramp in the quads in both legs. It got to the point where I could only spin in my lowest gear going up hills - any attempt to put even a moderate amount of power through the pedals resulted in instant cramp. I am comfortable with the 64 mile distance - I ride 50 - 70 mile rides monthly but Saturday's was a lot hillier than I am used to for the first 35 miles. I think I was well hydrated drinking 4 litres in the 3 hours 48 the ride took and I took on enough carbs throughout the ride - my "engine" felt fine at the end it was just my legs that were shot. Is there anything I can do to prevent this cramping or do I just have to do longer, hillier rides and get my legs used to it? I had the same problem on the second day of the coast to coast last year so it could be that I need more hill practice.

Comments

• You say you took in 4 litres. Was it plain water or did you have electrolytes?
  • fatdaz
    3 litres plain, 1 litre with electrolytes. Sorry I should have said
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Train harder, 4 litres is a lot for such a ride I would be pisxing everywhere lol
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I had the same problem today after doing 75km, having a rest (which was probably the mistake) and then doing another 9 km. Bejesus when I stopped it was the most painful thing ever. I was just about to start a thread asking how an I avoid it, until I saw this thread. I know theres some debate out there about the effectiveness of sports drinks and if they are worth it?

4 litres sounds a heavy amount of water to carry. I just had 1 litre.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • fatdaz
    Ben - I Carried 2 litres and stopped after 30 miles and refilled. I'm 95kg so a couple of kg of water is not massive in the scheme of things.

If we have the same issue hopefully we'll get some answers that will help prevent it happening again. It made the last three quarters of an hour on Saturday hideous - pedalling with one leg at a time whilst the other is stretched out virtually horizontally is not fun and not exactly elegant.
  • ben@31
    Ah I understand now.

Yep I hope we can have some happy cramp free miles. Hopefully its just a case of having enough salts / electrolytes in the water.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    electrolyte!

Get yourself some of those tablets that come in tubes -> you'll get 20 tablets for £6 with most brands (eg SIS, High5, nuun)

Your muscles can also respond badly if you up the distance you're riding...

eg. the first time I did 40 miles I remember the inside of my left thigh started cramping pretty badly in the last few miles...

and when I did my first 60 the inside of my quads (?) just above the knee were a little painful.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Electrolyte and carbs is normally the answer. Check you had enough of both, I find running low on carbs actually causes me to cramp before electrolyte. Also maybe worth a look at saddle height, a smidge higher might help.
  • oldwelshman
    Sorry guys but electrolyte and carbs is not the answer. If you wish to go down this route fine, it will cost you money but it wont stop your cramps.
    I am not saying you shopuld not hydrate yourself but a normal diet and drinks such as tri carb from my protein should be fine.
    The cramps are generally caused my exerting more effort than you do normally or going harder than nornally so yuo just have to train a bit harder to prevent this and do recovery rides in between.
    Many threads on this on here and on internet.
    I usually get the cramps if I race after a few days with no training.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you're fit and used to the bike and you're getting cramp on a distance that's not vastly over what you're used to I'd say it's time for a bike fitting. I think position has a lot to do with it. Bananas help too, it's the potassium you know.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • ben@31
    The cramps are generally caused my exerting more effort than you do normally or going harder than nornally so yuo just have to train a bit harder to prevent this and do recovery rides in between.

The ride I did was slightly longer that what I usually do. I'm trying to gradually increase the distance.
    unixnerd wrote:
    Bananas help too, it's the potassium you know.

Maybe I should move to Kazakhstan, according to the Borat movie "Kazakhstan number one exporter of potassium" http://youtu.be/dIV-QdPEx-Q. Hey it worked for for the winner of the mens Olympic road race, Alexander Vinokourov.
  • olza23
    olza23 Posts: 20
    Did you stretch before the ride?
  • fatdaz
    No - I know I should, particularly as I am the wrong side of 40 now, but it's not something I ever do
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Lack of salt can be a reason for cramp. You can take on as much water as you like but if you don't have any salt in the body then it will not rehydrate you. You'll just pee a lot and feel full of water. Pinch of salt in some some squash is plenty good enough. On average you need 6mg of salt per day (16 bags of walkers ready salted will do it!)
    Cramp can also be caused by fatigue(ie doing too much) or muscle tightness.
    You shouldn't need to stretch before riding, any stretching should be done in your off time. Dynamic warm up is best.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • oldwelshman
    d87heaven wrote:
    Lack of salt can be a reason for cramp. You can take on as much water as you like but if you don't have any salt in the body then it will not rehydrate you. You'll just pee a lot and feel full of water. Pinch of salt in some some squash is plenty good enough. On average you need 6mg of salt per day (16 bags of walkers ready salted will do it!)
    Cramp can also be caused by fatigue(ie doing too much) or muscle tightness.
    You shouldn't need to stretch before riding, any stretching should be done in your off time. Dynamic warm up is best.
    You shouldn't need salt either and certainly no need to put salt in drink with our climate. Ok if your riding across a desert but not in UK. The salt in food should be ample but as some suggested bananas are a good alround food.
  • d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    Wow can you measure my salt levels from there too I'm off on a ride about 8. Perhaps do some reading about osmosis, ok hydration isn't just about salt but it is needed to absorb water.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel